Opinion and thoughts required....

Adam_7

Well, I'm starting my fairly large painting of the amazing QM2. Right now all i have is the outline of what will be later painted on the canvas. So what i'm asking is for your thoughts on how it looks, what i should edit, etc...

I couldn't think of a better place to ask this regarding a painting of the QM2 than the Cunard line boards =)

So please be honest, i'm not afraid to take a little criticism...

Anyway this is it:

DSC01173.jpg

Nice job!

But on first glance, the port wing seems to be angled backwards.

That's at a glance, mind you. I'm no artist.

And the wake coming off the bow appears to be going forward of the ship instead of out and back. Of course, this is only a sketch and those things, no doubt, get ironed out in the actually brush strokes.

And I wouldn't even be able to make the sketch.

Good luck! Well, I suppose with talent (which you obviously have) you don't need luck!

It really is an impressive beginning. I wish I had artistic talent. It is frustrating when you feel inspired but what comes out of your hand is not what you see in your brain!

Karie,

whose talents lie elsewhere...somewhere!

Just about every picture I have seen of a transatlantic ship displayed one (usually more) imposing funnels. In an era of less environmental concern, these funnels were always depicted belching enormous amounts of smoke invoking a sense of power. You cant show the smoke today, because there is little of it, but a generously proportioned funnel will still suggest the power she possesses.;)

Thanks for all your comments, i really appreciate them... Now in regards to the funnel, i will most likely put one in, but in reality, compared to the photo in which this sketch modelled on, the funnel was not visible due to the angle.

I did however mod the angle of the ship so i may have to include it... we'll see

As for the bridge, thank you so much for pointing that out. After staring at it for quite some time, i was beginning to think it looked ok. However, now i truly see that it is not acurately represented at all.

Again thanks for everything so far, and keep the comments coming its really helping! =)

Actually, I think the entire bridge area is tilted a bit port. But you've done a lovely job of getting the feeling of movement--you feel the ship is moving. Nice!

Yes, some funnel is needed. She looks odd without it. Keep going, you're doing beautifully.

Well, I'm starting my fairly large painting of the amazing QM2. Right now all i have is the outline of what will be later painted on the canvas. So what i'm asking is for your thoughts on how it looks, what i should edit, etc...

You must be aware that no interesting painting was ever painted by a committee. If you are in doubt about questions of fact (the number of life boats and tenders on the port side for example) just check the many photographs available to you. Otherwise, just paint your heart out. I'm sure that we all wish you well. You have a lot of potential print buyers here, including those who will insist that the color of the funnel is the wrong colour.

Paul

Great start....great subject, but then some of us are very biased!!

I'm having a little trouble with that batch of windows under the observation deck...they seem to be canted a bit off from the forward movement of the ship. Perhaps it's just that they seem to follow that port bridge wing that's a bit off....they just don't seem to be centered quite in keeping with the direction you're going. And I'm like Karie...no talent at all, so please don't take it as a criticism.

Good luck...love your subject!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

I feel so guilty and unqualified posting anything at all. I am no artist, as I said. On occasion, I have tried really hard to do something (maybe a sketch or something) and if something is just "not quite right" I get so discouraged (like a nose is way wrong- usuallythe case) that is a human nose! <LOL> I just get down-hearted and think, I just don't have the heart to start over! And I do realize from what very little I know about preliminary sketches and painting (even from reading articles about finding and artists' sketches under a really famous painting or something) that the sketch is just a starting point- really, a framework. The richness of brushstrokes, for instance, will flesh out the fullness of the side wake and the various shadings which I can't do at all- I really admire Stephen Card's artwork on the QM2- will bring the waves and the foam alive, as if they are really moving!

I know it must seem like we are jumping all over you. Please don't feel bad. I daresay what you've done (and wearing your heart on your sleeve to show it to us) is a darn site better than anything most of us could do- Well me, at least!

My VERY first impression was simple, WOW!

Karie,

who can't wait to see the finished product, somewhere down the road.

P.S. flipping through John Maxtone graham's book on the Qm2, I just realzied. Stephen has his master's licesnse? WOW! I AM impressed. And i never did realize that there was a method to the placement of his artowrk. According to the book, Stephen's work decorates the "C" staircase from deck 10 all the way down to deck 1. I guess I will have to work up those stairclimbing legs or do them one floor at a time!

Does anyone know if anyone has ever done a definitive inventory of QM2's artwork. (I'm sure Cunard has one, but I am talking about something we could access. I should chek the book throughly before I speak in haste!)

LV3600, sorry to slightly hijack your thread. But at least I have put you in very good company! <G>

You have a lot of potential print buyers here, including those who will insist that the color of the funnel is the wrong colour.

Perhaps you can offer limited edition copies where people can choose their own colour for the funnel - a la Andy Warhol prints.:eek: Or offer 4 different shades of red - that way, people can choose their preferred shade or buy the whole set!:p

Seriously, I love the way that the painting-be-be has the ship 'coming at you' rather than a classic side-on-view. Keep us updated with your progress.

Jo

(In the words of the great master himself.... 'Can you tell what it is yet?'!!!)

Archived