Which Side Faces the Coast? (Mediterranean)

RPD

This may be a dumb question, but if I am in a balcony on the port side (left side near the aft) of a ship leaving Barcelona and visiting Nice, Florence, Rome, etc. (in that order), will I have a view of the coast at each stop? I read in a CC article that this was a factor to consider when booking a cabin and it actually never crossed my mind. Thanks in advance.

Ι don't know if you will face the shore while docked-anchored at a port, but given this order of destinations, you will face the shore while cruising.

When returning (if your cruise goes back to Barcelona) you won't face the shore but you'll have time to observe the sea...

This is a factor I always consider when choosing the location of the cabin, as I would like to be able to sit in the balcony and watch the scenery go by.

According to your information for a cruise sailing from Barcelona along the French and Italian riviera to Rome, you will be looking at the coastline if your cabin is located on the left side (face towards the bow) of the ship. However in my experience, the ship usually sails quite a distance from the coast and most of the time you don't get a glimpse of the coast.

When the ship is at dock, your view depends on the location of the pier in relation to the town, and in my experience, the cabins on the right side usually face the town.

Also there won't be much to see when you get to Rome, as the port is located in a small coastal town called Civitavecchio, 30 miles away from Rome.

In addition to what has already been said, you will do the majority of the actual sailing in the dark. You will be able to see a faint glow from some, but certainly not all, coastlines.

If you are also sailing to Venice you will want to be on deck so that you can run across the deck to see both sides of the canal.

The best cabin for an Alaska cruise or a Med cruise [and perhaps every other cruise] is an aft. The memories just seem to linger back there for some reason.

You will have a great cruise. Enjoy

Archived