Safety in Belize

patandal

After reading a post on the CC thread I am concerned about safety in Belize. My daughter 24 and friend 22 along with my elderly parents and sil and bil will be doing the Altun Ha ruins and Belize City with Coral Breeze tours. Should I be worried about their safety in Belize City. My BIL is retired DEA but can't carry his weapon on the cruise...Any input out there??

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we were just there last week on the Glory.

I too was worried about our safety.

As long as you stay with your tour group you will be fine.

We saw the ruins you are going to, they are really worth seeing. We have seen others before and these are very good.

We did an excursion called the Belize city and Altun Ha ruins. It was a company hired by the cruise line so we met right at the port. I dont know the name of the company, but our driver and guides were excellant.

I felt safe the entire time and i was so nervous that I took off my wedding ring and left it in the safe on the ship before we left!! I am a grandma and not very strong to defend myself.

When you drive out of the city limits you will see extreme poverty and will really appreciate what you have at home.

If you want to shop there is a great shopping area at the port that is fenced off and has plenty of security. It is very safe to shop there.

You will find fine jewelry to door magnets, clothes, coffee mugs, just anything you can think of. At the ruims there are a few booths set up by locals that you can get some great deals on some of the same things you can buy at the port for 1/2 the price. So if you see something there, buy it then and save some money.

There are also children there holding armadillos, parrots and turtles and they want you to pay them to let you take a picture with the animals. They are hard to understand when they speak, but that is what they want.

Tell your family they have nothing to worry about as long as they stay with their tour group andhave fun.

mom x4,grandma x4

Archived