whales

2martinis

We are going on Infinity Dec. 9, 2007, and I didn't realize that we may be too early for the wildlife on this cruise. Any chances of seeing whales, penguins and dolphins. Also we are in an aft balcony cabin are we going to be able to see everything from our balcony at rear of ship? Also any stayed in the panamericano hotel in BA? We are flying in 2 days early to see BA. Thanks..

Hi. Panamericano is a nice hotel in Buenos Aires (visit the pool). In december in Chubut Province - your port of call will be Puerto Madryn City- you may see whales (season= may through december), choiques (small ostriches,they can be seen all year round), dolphins (season= january through march), penguins, sea elephants and sea lions. I would not miss Punta Tombo Penguin Colony when you visit Puerto Madryn. Have a great time in Argentina. If you are staying in Buenos Aires for a couple of days before leaving I would go shopping. I can recommend some great places to you.

We are staying 2 days prior to cruise in BA. I dont really shop but would appreciate help on restaurants and tango shows or bars. and also ranch visits if you know. I tried to book tours for whale watching and the very honest tour operators wouldn't take my money because they said it was the end of the whale season and might see some but they couldn't guarantee it so wouldn't book it. I really appreciate candor like that. Thanks for any hints you can give me.

OK. So...what kind of food would you like to try ? Barbecue, pasta ? Beef is the best. There are great restaurants. American style or Argentinian style ? I know a great tango show but you should go with a guide, not on your own. I'm glad you found honest tour operators in Puerto Madryn. Don't miss Punta Tombo.. See the peguins...

Of course beef, we've waited years to go to a real parrillada in BA. We have one here in kansas city the owners are from Argentina but have to try the original there. Have you heard of tango clubs called Club Gricel or La Viruta? Why do you say we should go with guide to see tango.? Also have you heard of a tango show called El Viejo Almacen?

since we have two nights in BA to try dinner places what would you suggest for second night. We love food and will eat just about anything. Thanks for giving me thoughts from someone who lives in BA.

I stayed in Panamericano 2 days dec 6&7 last year. Very pleased with it. You can walk many places from there i/c old docks area with 2 very historic tall ships. Worth a look at the 'Corbeta Uruguay' for the Antarctic memorabilia. You may find a few Jacaranda trees still in bloom along the streets.

Restaurants:

Some great restaurants to have beef - Cabaña Las Lilas in Puerto Madero(Alicia Moreau de Justo 516) or Rodizzio Puerto Madero (Alicia Moreau de Justo 838 ) I think Rodizzio does't take credit cards, only cash. Both are great.

International food - Bice (Alicia Moreau de Justo 192)

Tango Shows:

I know Señor Tango is great but since it's located in a bad neighborhood I wouldn't go on my own but with a group and a guide. I really don't know about the ones you mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

September, I will be in BA for 10 days pre-cruise also on the Infinity and want to do tango lessons, see a tango show, and go to the tigre delta. I also want to do some shopping. We plan to go to Iguassu Falls for 2 nights before our cruise. We have been in touch with a few tour operators and all seem to want to book us at the Mansion Royal Dandi. I know it is a tango academy in San Telmo. Do you know anything about it? How about tour operators 4 Star or Kon-Tiki? Also, shopping places and dinner place suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, trying to book timeshare for the week we are in BA. Also thinking about renting an apartment for the week. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and sorry this is so long.

Archived