Statendam Alaska review part 2

deora24

The food was "good". We have both been more impressed with RCCL...for variety, presentation, taste. At no time did anyone ask if I wanted something else...even when I had left half or more of my dish. A few special requests from our table were politely denied. Our experience on RCCL was much different...menu items from previous nights were frequently available when requested, waiters frequently inquired how we were enjoying our meal and when something was especially raved about, the waiter would ask if we'd like another, and several times just brought more out without even asking. The last night's "master chef" event was something I would skip in the future. It is just obviously an easier night for the kitchen staff with few choices for guests available. I did not enjoy any of the breads or pastries served anywhere on the ship. My husband did enjoy the cookies. The selection of items in the Lido Buffet was varied and very good. Late night dessert event was again, not as "awesome" as RCCL. We had one breakfast in the dining room. The servers were rude, inattentive and very loud with dishes etc. at the serving areas. I ordered an omelet with an english muffin as did another at our table. The omelet was nothing like those I had made at the omelet station at the buffet. This was more like a fried egg. Our english muffins did not come with the omelets. I had to request it twice more and it arrived after all at the table had finished eating. Then the server seemed annoyed when I requested butter and jam.

Did not catch the 1st part of your review. Did you hear anything about plumbing breakdowns in some of the cabins? A post on the HAL board with website:

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/comp...lue-270728.php

features the June, 2007 issue of The Consumerist Magazine with a dreadful article of plumbing leaks on the Statendam, accompanied by pictures too gross to describe:eek: .

6/10 Seward to Vancouver...outside cabin...main deck (5)...none of the cabins in our section were "flushing" for most of day 6. On day 2 the inside corner cabin in our hallway had some kind of backup all over the carpet which caused a serious odor throughout the passageway. We noticed this in other cabin areas at various times. The public restrooms, however, were always very clean and functioning properly.

*I posted a 3-part review below...Of course, it's just our opinion...everything is always very subjective

* directly related to the "brown glue" post...happy now that we didn't know the gorry details while on board.

Archived