What to do in Gdansk??

It's been a while since there has been any posting on this thread. I will be on the Crown Princess in June and would like to get the contact info for the private guide GR8 2Cruise had mentioned. If anyone has that info, please email me at lchen818@yahoo.com. Many thanks in advance.

If any one is cruising with Princess, they have an excellent walking tour of Gdansk. We had plenty of timeon our own also. We were in the Old Town. We weren't interested in the modern city. We were very pleased with this tour.

We will be cruising with Princess in July and I am very interested in the name of the tour you took. We were concerned about not having time to do some exploring on our own. Thanks, Meme

• 1 year later...

I read about your tour to stutthof and I will be there in Sept. After hearing about the traffic I am a little wary that maybe we will not get back in time. Did you have any problems with time?

Thanks

This is the info that I have managed to put together on Gdansk from various sources:

Gdansk- Must carry passport with you at all times in Poland. The port of Gdynia is rather deserted. There are no shops, kiosks, ATM/exchange or other facilities within the port area; just ships. There is only one bus going from port of Gdynia to Gdansk; better to take train.

If travelling in the coastal area of the Tricity of Gdańsk, Sopot and Gdynia, then look out for the SKM commuter train which connects Gdańsk and Gdynia. It is a 40 minute ride which stops at all the in-between smaller stations that the PKP trains do not. The SKM runs very frequently, about every 15 minutes from platform 1. As a rule, tickets are valid for travel by one specific type of train, only. Take 137 bus or taxi to train stn. then 40-45 min. SKM train to Gdansk (bus 137 does not return so take taxi back from train on return journey). You will stay on to the last station called GDANSK GŁÓWNY.

You will need Polish currency to purchase tickets. The best deal is using Kantor exchange offices located everywhere, also at the train station. Tickets may be bought from a vending machine at the entrance to the platform; remember to validate your ticket before you board the carriage (you can find them on every train station at special yellow automatic ticket machines) as ticket controls checking passengers’ tickets are frequent. BEWARE of pickpockets at the station and on the train, especially during the rush hour!

The timetable and ticket tariffs are obtainable from the local public transport companies’ web sites – http://www.ztm.gda.pl and http://www.zkmgdynia.pl. The transport is not expensive here as the prices start from just 2 PLN for a 15 minute journey.

You will need cash to buy tickets. One bus ticket will be 2,50 PLN, train ticket 4,50 PLN.

24 hour municipal transport ticket 18PLN is valid for trams, buses & SKM trains in metropolitan region of Tri-city.

1-12 km 8 PLN

13-24 km 12 PLN

25-50 km 18 PLN

In Gdansk walk right from train to Upland gate up the main street, you’ll see everything from there. Red building across from town hall is tourist office with maps. The main station in Gdansk is a ten minute walk west of the historic city centre. Heart of the Old Town is Powroznicza Street. Solidarity Square is a must. This is where freedom came to Poland. If you like walking it should be about 0.5 hr from the old town of Gdansk. ROADS TO FREEDOM exhibition/museum is close to the square.

has anyone just grabbed a taxi off the ship to visit gdansk and the concentration camp? if so, how much did that cost? i'm not sure i can get my group to commit to that in advance, so we won't book a tour in advance but i'd prefer to know what to expect $wise.

is there any way to get to the concentration camp via train? or maybe it's feasible to get a taxi to the concentration camp and then to gdansk and then train it back to the port?? thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't even try to go by train or bus. The Camp for is located within deserted area, inside the forests, on purpose, to avoid any prisoners escapes. This is about 1 hr drive from Gdansk. I don't recommend any public transportation. You will have to walk inside the forest and than return. If you have unlimited day time you may try but not witihin the ships strict time table.

Archived