Festive Getaway - QE2

Cunard Fan

Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking the QE2 Festive Getaway short trip across the channel, as I can't let her retire without one last visit, and will be short on time to be able to take a more conventional cruise. Has anybody ever taken these short (only 2 nights!) trips? Is the atmosphere on board much different from a normal type cruise? I'm presuming there won't be formal wear required for it? Is the ship all nicely decorated for Christmas?

If anyone can provide any details on what these are like I would be very grateful. As I mentioned, I can't let her disappear without one last hurrah, but want to know what I can expect on these short trips.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cunard (now sad :( ) Fan!

Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking the QE2 Festive Getaway short trip across the channel, as I can't let her retire without one last visit, and will be short on time to be able to take a more conventional cruise. Has anybody ever taken these short (only 2 nights!) trips? Is the atmosphere on board much different from a normal type cruise? I'm presuming there won't be formal wear required for it? Is the ship all nicely decorated for Christmas?

If anyone can provide any details on what these are like I would be very grateful. As I mentioned, I can't let her disappear without one last hurrah, but want to know what I can expect on these short trips.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cunard (now sad :( ) Fan!

You won't get the same atmosphere. However if you are known, things are pretty good!

We're actually doing this one with my wife's grandmother, and so I'm hoping it will be festive. It won't be our last, but it will be the only time that we're ever likely to see the ship decorated.

It would certainly be better than nothing - by a huge margin!

Matthew

Mathew,

Thanks for the info. Glad you'll be on the same trip. I'm actually taking my Mother and Father as they have never even seen the 'old girl' in the flesh, so to speak, before never mind actually boarded. They have alsways been interested in my stories when I've returned from a cruise, so, I thought it would be a nice surprise for them to get some of their own before she becomes a Dubai monument. Have you already booked?

Mathew,

Thanks for the info. Glad you'll be on the same trip. I'm actually taking my Mother and Father as they have never even seen the 'old girl' in the flesh, so to speak, before never mind actually boarded. They have alsways been interested in my stories when I've returned from a cruise, so, I thought it would be a nice surprise for them to get some of their own before she becomes a Dubai monument. Have you already booked?

Yes - a couple of days ago. Queens Grill.

My wife's grandmother always wanted to go to sea - when we took her on the one nighter she was made up with it, but this is a chance to have a good time without my mother in law, who did her utmost to spoil the previous trip.

My wife and I have actually booked on deck one - partly to see the old first class cabins, partly to be near my grandmother-in-law.

Don't forget to take them to the Princess Grill Bar - especially on the first night. It's a good way of avoiding those new to the ship......

Matthew

Archived