Formal Dress - Long or Short??

Cruisung Lady

Can anyone comment on formal dress for QM2. Would a short cocktail dress be considered formal or is it long only?

Can anyone comment on formal dress for QM2. Would a short cocktail dress be considered formal or is it long only?

Personally, I prefer long, but short is fine (I assume you mean knee length?). Short and glamorous can certainly be just as good as long as glamorous!

- but are you asking to avoid getting a long one, or asking because you'd really like one?!

When and where are you going?

Jo

(I am keeping out of TK Maxx to avoid buying more dresses... )

Personally, I prefer long, but short is fine (I assume you mean knee length?). Short and glamorous can certainly be just as good as long as glamorous!

- but are you asking to avoid getting a long one, or asking because you'd really like one?!

When and where are you going?

Jo

(I am keeping out of TK Maxx to avoid buying more dresses... )

Hi

We are going on the 4 night cruise out of New York (QM2) on July 2, 2007. I have both long and short, but just wondering which ones to bring. Cunard seems very sticky with dress codes. Oh well I will just fill all my suitcases with clothes and hope I have enough.

I was on the same cruise in May. It was fabulous. Most wore long dresses, but a short cocktail dress is perfectly fine and acceptable. Have a great time. You will love the island.

Hi

Thank you for the info. There have been many negative comments on the 4 day cruises, I was getting worried. They seem to think that all the full time staff get the weekends off and it is new crew members that look after the pax. How was the food.

Hi

Thank you for the info. There have been many negative comments on the 4 day cruises, I was getting worried. They seem to think that all the full time staff get the weekends off and it is new crew members that look after the pax. How was the food.

This is nonsense, you'll be pleased to hear.

The situation was simple. Passengers were making unreasonable demands - multiple main courses, for example, and the staff simply couldn't cope. The passengers were, according to the crew I spoke to, rude to boot.

I would guess that if you'd set out to enjoy yourself, and exhibited good manners and patience, then you'd have been fine. As, no doubt, anyone from this board would.

Matthew

I too will only wear long for formal nights. You just feel so elegant wandering around that beautiful ship, dressed to suit your surroundings. I lean towards cocktail dresses for informal altho I did wear a silky pant outfit in the Caribbean last year for informal once. Dress to the nines and enjoy it...you're in the perfect setting to indulge those fantasies!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Having just returned from a QM2 crossing I found the mix about 50/50 of ladies who wore long dresses or short cocktail dresses/evening trouser outfits on formal nights. The first and last formal nights appeared to be slightly more dressy than the middle ones but I brought a couple of dressy outfits back unworn....

I have both long and short, but just wondering which ones to bring. Cunard seems very sticky with dress codes. Oh well I will just fill all my suitcases with clothes and hope I have enough.

If you have long, definitely take them.

I always wear long for formal and cocktail dresses for semi-formal.

That's what I did.

I keep meaning to stick my dresses on my dress-making dummy and take photos to post. Maybe this weekend I'll finally get round to doing it...

J

Having just returned from a QM2 crossing I found the mix about 50/50 of ladies who wore long dresses or short cocktail dresses/evening trouser outfits on formal nights. The first and last formal nights appeared to be slightly more dressy than the middle ones but I brought a couple of dressy outfits back unworn....

Interesting..... I assumed that the formalwear on our trip was very much less dressy than I expected because we were on a cruise not a crossing. I also brought back a couple of outfits unworn, as I would have felt over-dressed.

This is merely an observation, and not a criticism.......

Hi

We are going on the 4 night cruise out of New York (QM2) on July 2, 2007. I have both long and short, but just wondering which ones to bring. Cunard seems very sticky with dress codes. Oh well I will just fill all my suitcases with clothes and hope I have enough.

Hi Cruisung Lady-

Come on over and join our Roll Call on the Roll call portion of the boards- we're all meeting the first night at 11PMin the Commodore's Club. We have a discussion of what we are wearing on the Roll Call- basically anything dressy- either long or short!

Archived