Camera's

danya83

Imaging Resource did a full review of the 770, including samples here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/OS770SW/OS770SWA.HTM

Image quality, while not a leader in it's class, is greatly improved from previous models. I was considering the 720 before I got my Canon SD800IS, but the optics were so-so and it uses those darn xD picture cards instead of SD or SDHC.

I'm now thinking about getting a 770 for a snorkeling camera instead of buying a $200 waterproof case for the Canon..but I won't be giving up the Canon as my everyday camera.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Imaging Resource did a full review of the 770, including samples here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/OS770SW/OS770SWA.HTM

Image quality, while not a leader in it's class, is greatly improved from previous models. I was considering the 720 before I got my Canon SD800IS, but the optics were so-so and it uses those darn xD picture cards instead of SD or SDHC.

I'm now thinking about getting a 770 for a snorkeling camera instead of buying a $200 waterproof case for the Canon..but I won't be giving up the Canon as my everyday camera.

Hope that helps.

Dave

I only want the 770 for a "cruise excursion" camera. Plus I have two young kids that are constantly getting their hands on my camera. What is your Canon? I have had my eye on the Rebel until recently when I saw a new Sony. I am just torn. I want a good FAST camera, I really want to get into photography, it's really been a passion of mine just not practiced enough. What would you suggest? I read a post of how you researched for a long while before your purchase. If you wouldn't mind sharing with a beginner?

there is a huge difference between the 770 and the rebel. a pocket point and shoot versus a true dslr - apples and oranges.

i would suggest the canon rebel xt or xti. both are made for the pro-am photographer. both have manual and program modes. both have a range of lenses, flashes, and other accessories that will last you a long time. i can set my xt to full auto for my wife, or turn the programs off for me.

both use CF type cards up to 2gb. both will take up to 4gb in the CF-Microdrive. the larger cards are "slow." my xt has a "rapid fire" or burst rate of 5 frames. annoying at times.

these cameras come with a software suite that make image adjustment and printing really easy. they have an option for the camera raw mode. camera raw is the "film" mode - extreme quality in images - a 16 bit vector like data capture versus the 8 bit raster (jpg). the software suite is really user friendly. it also lets you connect the rebel to you lap/desktop for direct capture.

you should find the xt "kit" for around $600-700 USD with the 18-55mm lens. the xti is almost a price point up from that, but has a better lens.

the last suggestion is that you get the new camera well in advance of your cruise. use it a lot, get comfortable with it.

please, don't confuse the camera with the photographer. results may vary. pierces is a very talented, very practiced photographer.

shoot lots, edit later, share always....

My Canon is a SD800IS pocket camera (Wonderful Wife calls it the "dinner camera"). I got it because of the wide angle zoom, image quality and considerable options for manual override and control.

My main camera is currently a Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D DSLR. I went with Minolta when I jumped to digital because at the time, they offered the most bang for the buck, as they have for most of the 30+ years I've used Minolta. I also had a bag full of Minolta glass from my film cameras that worked fine on the 7D.

Last year Sony aquired their camera technology when Minolta threw in the towel and quit making cameras. They quickly released the first in the Alpha DSLR line which is primarily an upgrade to Minolta's entry-level 5D. It is an excellent camera and is currently a good buy and a very capable camera (you said you liked the Sony that you saw and since there's only one model 'til later this year, It must be the Alpha 100). There have been a lot of negatives about the digital noise at higher sensitivities, but all-in-all it is a good enough performer to get chosen DSLR camera of the year by both Popular Photography and American Photo magazines. I am waiting for Sony to release their second model to upgrade my 7D since it is rumored to be targeted at the serious amatuer/semi-pro segment (I guess I feel seriously amateur enough to wait...;) ).

With the Minolta technical arsenal at their command, as well as their own, I think Sony can step up and become a player in the rapidly growing DSLR market. Minolta made the first commercially viable autofocus SLR and pioneered the in-body stabilization for digital that make all of your lenses stabilized. Sony made the first consumer affordable digital cameras ever. Not a bad team, eh?

That being said, I am sorely tempted to jump ship and go to Canon. Their total system and class-leading pro-level cameras are a serious temptation since I am expanding in that direction (oh, so slowly). While I feel that Sony is a very capable company, the Canon cameras are the best sellers for a reason. I am waiting for Sony to release the next model to see what direction they are going before I make any decision.

You mentioned the Rebel, which I assume means that you are looking at a good, reliable entry-level DSLR. That would be the Rebel XTi at the moment. The Alpha 100 stacks up very well against it as does the Nikon D80 and the Pentax K10D. The good news is that all of the mentioned cameras are excellent and will serve an aspiring photographer very well. The bad news is that you must choose.

If you plan on getting very serious in the future and will be buying more than the kit lens that comes with the camera and a longer zoom, you still have some choosing to do. If I were starting from scratch right now and wanted to enter the DSLR world with a good balance between price and performance and no current plans beyond family and travel photography, I would be choosing between the Alpha 100 and the Rebel XTi. I might end up with the Alpha because it just feels better in my hands and I like the way the controls are set up. If I planned on moving into wedding, sports or wildlife photography sometime in the future, the scales might tip towards the Rebel because of the tremendous upward mobility in the Canon system.

My 2¢...hope that helps.

Dave

I have the Sony A100 and I find it to be a very well thought out, easy to use camera. I love the simplicity of all the features and the user friendly system that Sony/Konica Minolta have adopted. I've always used Minolta SLR's and so I have several Minolta lenses that are compatible with the A100. That was proably the deciding factor in choosing the A100. I looked at the Canon Rebel and the D80. I felt that the big advantage of the A100 was the "in body" image stabilization. The Canon and Nikon cameras have their stabilization in their lenses. The A100 also has constant focusing that is activated by bringing the camera upto your eye. I am amazed at how well it works and how quickly to get used to it. Prior to the A100, I used a Nikon CP5100. It took great photos, but I'm really happy to be back to a DSLR.

I have the Sony A100 and I find it to be a very well thought out, easy to use camera. I love the simplicity of all the features and the user friendly system that Sony/Konica Minolta have adopted. I've always used Minolta SLR's and so I have several Minolta lenses that are compatible with the A100. That was proably the deciding factor in choosing the A100. I looked at the Canon Rebel and the D80. I felt that the big advantage of the A100 was the "in body" image stabilization. The Canon and Nikon cameras have their stabilization in their lenses. The A100 also has constant focusing that is activated by bringing the camera upto your eye. I am amazed at how well it works and how quickly to get used to it. Prior to the A100, I used a Nikon CP5100. It took great photos, but I'm really happy to be back to a DSLR.

I have to agree that the A100 is a terrific camera. It gets underrated a lot at the big-box stores by sales people that, frankly, know next to nothing about cameras and even less about photography. I didn't get one when they came out because my 7D wasn't that old and the A100 didn't offer enough of a jump to justify itself. If I had been shooting with a 5D at the time it would have been a different story. My comment about jumping to Canon needs to be viewed in the context of Sony having a limited upgrade path (at this point in time) if I find myself needing to expand my system beyond it's current serious and, occasionally, paying hobby status. As I stated earlier, I am waiting for Sony to release it's advanced amateur model later this year before making any decision. I'd prefer to stay within the Sony/Minolta system because I've been a Minolta user since the early 70s and have always found the value for the price to be exceptional. Sony seems to be following in that direction with the A100 and it's amazing features in a $700 package. They have also been releasing some exceptional pro-level lenses that appear to show a commitment to their future in the market.

danya83: My earlier post touting the virtues of all of the entry-level cameras wasn't from dissatisfaction with Sony, but rather from my belief that none of the major manufacturers really makes a bad camera and whatever you end up shooting with has very little impact on how good your photographs are. The current technology is amazing, almost magical...but composition, subject, awareness of light and background are still the biggest part of a photo.

As for choosing between a DSLR and a point-and-shoot...Don't. I have found that the best all-around camera that fits any situation is probably two (or three) cameras. Get the one you think you'll use the most first, use it a lot and when you feel the need for something to "fill the gaps", get one of those too. I always carry my SD800IS, something that is impractical to do with a DSLR. If you have to choose one or the other for budgetary purposes, I'd say get the camera that will be with you all the time first. The shot you take, no matter what you take it with, will always be better than the one you didn't take because you didn't have a camera handy!:D

Whatever you get, use it a lot! Take pictures and enjoy them.

Dave

danya83: My earlier post touting the virtues of all of the entry-level cameras wasn't from dissatisfaction with Sony, but rather from my belief that none of the major manufacturers really makes a bad camera and whatever you end up shooting with has very little impact on how good your photographs are. The current technology is amazing, almost magical...but composition, subject, awareness of light and background are still the biggest part of a photo.

As for choosing between a DSLR and a point-and-shoot...Don't. I have found that the best all-around camera that fits any situation is probably two (or three) cameras. Get the one you think you'll use the most first, use it a lot and when you feel the need for something to "fill the gaps", get one of those too. I always carry my SD800IS, something that is impractical to do with a DSLR. If you have to choose one or the other for budgetary purposes, I'd say get the camera that will be with you all the time first. The shot you take, no matter what you take it with, will always be better than the one you didn't take because you didn't have a camera handy!:D

Whatever you get, use it a lot! Take pictures and enjoy them.

Dave

Yes this is what I am thinking. We were at the mall today, and we stopped by best buy (not into chains, but it'll do to play) and I got to try all of my top choices. The funny thing is, that it's not that I want to choose between the two, I just don't know which one to buy first! LOL. I fell in love with the sony, however, like you said....its larger and bit harder to keep with me "all" the time. I wish the larger cameras came with a smaller 'pocket' size one. I was surprised at how slow the 770 was, and the quality pic wasn't that great. I was more drawn to that one because of the size and the stuff it can go through. I think I may end up getting it just to have thrown in a bag to keep with me at all time. I just need to figure out which larger-grow-with-me camera I want. I have a nikon 35mm N80 with just a basic lens on it. I got it the year before Digital took over the market. So I don't ever use it. I ended up with a Nikon P&S (coolpix4100) and it worked, however, I have not been happy with the clarity of the picture or the speed of the picture. Speed is a large selling point for me. Like you say a pic is better than no pic, but I want one pretty close for what I was aiming for. I played around with the Nikon D70, but thought it to be a bit too heavy. Haven't played with it lately. I love cameras, and wish I could have lots of them. I plan on taking a few classes to get a good understanding to playing with light and zoom. I can see a pic before I take it, I just can't figure out yet how to get that look through the camera lens. I plan on practicing until I get it. I hope to at least get somewhat decent photos at some point in time.

If speed and image quality are a big part of your criteria, try out the Canon SD800. It isn't water-proof or drop-proof like the Olympus, but it's one snappy little camera in all other aspects. I love mine! If the 28mm equivalent wide angle and face-detection technology isn't important to you, the SD700 is going for cheap right now and is also very responsive point-and-shoot with great image quality.

This gallery was taken almost exclusively with the SD800IS: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/pacnw20074a

Like I said before, I did a ton of research before I bought mine and haven't had a moment's remorse.

Dave

Archived