Snorkeling at Buck Island, St.Thomas?

I have read that the snorkeling is very good at Buck Island off the coast of Charlotte Amalia. Has anybody done it? We are on a cruise with RCI in Feb. Did you take an excursion through RCI or on you own? If on your how, ,please give details on how you did this.

Thanks fellow snorkelers!

DH & I have done this excursion a couple of times, in fact, it's our favorite thing to do while in St. Thomas. Normally, we book excursions on our own. However, for this port, it seems hard to book this snorkel trip outside of the ship. I think RCCL calls this one Turtle Cove Snorkel or something like that. We had a blast on the Doubloon the first trip & the Dolphin on our second visit. We saw lots of sea turtles, fish & a couple of barracudas. Highly recommend this excursion!

We've also done the sail/snorkel trip to Turtle Cove at Buck Island a couple of times - once on Dancing Dolphin and once on Castaway Girl. Highly recommended. This can usually be booked either independently or through the ship. Either way, a good time! They leave from a dock next to the main ship dock, so it's only a short walk away. Be advised, though, that the water clarity goes down due to stirred-up sand if there's been a storm a day or two before your arrival. That happened to us the first time. It was still worth it.

When you get back, you can do all your shopping at the Havensight Mall there at the dock. They have most of the same stores as downtown, but right next to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived