Kauai, Mokihana Helicopter Tour

Wanderlust26

I have just booked the ‘Mokihana Helicopter Tour’ for Kauai through NCL and am looking forward to it with great anticipation since this will be my first time in a Helicopter. Can someone answer the following questions for me? Thank you!

Has anyone taken this tour and what can I expect?

Does anyone know which Helicopter Tour Company NCL uses?

I don't remember the name of the company. It was a great tour with some beautiful sights but it also caused me a lot of discomfort. They put six people plus the pilot in a copter really built for five total. Two people in the left front seat and four across the back seat. They put your weight in the computer and the computer tells where each person will sit for balance so no changes. I have a bad disc in my back and was one of the middle two in the back seat. It was so tight I could not move, not even rock my feet a little. I was in pain before we got off the ground and extreme pain by the time it was over.

If you don't have my problem, you will most likely enjoy it as it is beautiful.

Oh, and my BIL & I booked together but got put in separate copters as per the computer. The tour consisted of twelve people and all twelve were put in the computer and assigned to two copters. Like I said, no changes. You went in the copter and seat the computer assigned.

Thanks so much for the reply, Retired not Expired. I expected that the seat assignment would depend on one’s weight. What I didn’t count on was separate helicopters. I’m taking my mother with me and I don’t think she will like that too much…

In retrospect, I should have asked about this before I booked this ‘non-refundable’ excursion.

Wanderluster, when are you taking the helicopter tour? I had some problems booking this tour because my fiancee is over the 250 lb weight limit. At first, NCL kept sending us cruise itenaries with only me on the flight. After several phone calls and emails we are now both scheduled to take the tour. (Although I would have never signed up if I had known that we could be on separate helicopters.) To make a long story short, when I was on the phone with an NCL representative trying to work out the itenarary glitch, I was told that you COULD cancel the helicopter tour up to five days from your cruise departure and not be charged. However, this is not what is listed on the NCL website (non-refundable). I would call the NCL excursions number and see if you can cancel the tour without being charged.

We just returned from our PoAM cruise June 2. We took the helicopter tour on Kauai. Unfortunately, I can't remember the helicopter company. We flew in the morning and were the only ones from the ship for our 9am flight. There were 5 of us so we were all on one helicopter. The people working there were very nice and I am sure they would try and keep you and your mother together. The helicopter was air-conditioned and everyone had their own blowers so no one had to worry about getting nauseated. Also, if by some chance you are separated - my mom would't like that either - you have ear phones on and spend most of your time just looking out the window for about 25 minutes, you don't really interact with anyone. But, hopefully, that won't happen. It is a great experience!

Hello Everyone,

After some thought, I phoned NCL Shorex and canceled the 9 am ‘Mokihana Helicopter Tour’ for my mother and myself. I was prepared for a real battle since the tour is apparently ‘non-refundable’ but the woman I spoke to was very nice about it. She asked why I was canceling and I just told her that I got carried away with enthusiasm while booking assorted excursions with NCL and that I felt in retrospect that the tour was not suitable for a senior my mothers age.

Frankly, I want her to have a good time and not spend the trip in nervous anticipation of the helicopter trip. So, I booked the Waimea, Wailua & Fern Grotto Tour instead. Although I’m a bit disappointed, there will be other cruises and other opportunities for me to take a helicopter tour…

One other thing, I believe the company that NCL uses is ‘Heli USA’

Archived