Just got back from W. Caribbean - Long

l2f

Just back from our 1st and wonderful cruise. First I want to thank all that answered my many questions. We were in Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, and Nassau. Look at those ports of call for our experience in those ports. Title is the same.

6/19 – Belize – We did a cave tubing adventure with 7 other friends on the cruise. The tour company made us our own group. It was great. I went back and forth about who to book cave tubing with and I’m so glad I picked the tour company I did. We were met at the pier like promised with our names on a sign like at an airport. From there two men got us in the tour van and away we went. The driver ended up being the tour guide at the caves, and the other man did the talking during the drive. Telling us about the sights we were seeing, history, and answered all our questions about Belize.

Once at the caves, we got our equipment and headed to the river. We were advised to take a quick dip in the river to cool our bodies down prior to walking the trail to the start of the caves. The guide and myself jumped off the 10’-12’ legend into the cool water. Several others jumped after watching us including my wife.

Then we started the walk. I was a little surprised the walk was 40-45 minutes. I thought I read somewhere it was like 20-25 minutes.

The guide stopped numerous times to show us unique things in the rain forest. We actually had an elderly woman (friend's mom) so one of the guides walked at a slower pace with her, and the rest of the group walked with the other guide.

Talk about service. The elderly lady couldn’t make the entire walk (never did find out way) so at the end of the caves, her and the guide got in the river and the guide paddled up stream almost to the entrance of the cave towing her so she could do most of the tubing with the group. I can’t imagine how tired that man was.

Through out the tubing trip, groups were passing us (some with and some without guides) and I never heard one word come out of any other guides mouth. Our guide was showing/pointing out to us things, telling us history. I actually noticed some of the loners slowing down to listen to our guide.

After tubing, we stopped at a little local restaurant and had lunch. Don’t recall the name of the dish, but it was chicken, beans & rice, slaw and a drink. All authentic. It was really good. You hear many talk about being worry and saying not to eat this or drink that. I believe all 9 of us in the group ha that feeling inside, but we all were glad we stopped and tried something new. (And none of us got sick.)

Some of us took a little nap on the ride back to the dock, but others wanted to hear more about Belize as on the return trip we went thru the city.

I would recommend this tour company to anyone considering cave tubing.

Archived