Xcaret- Anyone done this on own???

cruisinonup

Has anyone done this excursion without the cruise ship? If so, how did you get there and back? Also, anyone who has gone and had a positive or negative experience, let me know. This excursion looks great but it is expensive. I would like some feedback. Thanks.

I went to Xcaret several years ago, but our port of call was Calica/Playa del Camen, so all we had to do is get off of the ship and catch the shuttle that goes there. When you dock in Cozumel, you will have to catch a ferry over to Playa del Carmen and then get on a shuttle to Xcaret. I can't remember what the ferry cost per person, but it is about 45 minutes one way. If you go to www.cozumelinsider.com (I think that is the web site), it will tell you the cost and the times to catch the ferry. I am usually the type of person that will book my own excursions (I have used the cruiselines a few times), but in this case I would definitely use the cruise line excursion, no matter how much more it cost, just because of the transportation issues (ferries and shuttles). Another thought, you may not have a whole lot of time there and is it worth the cost? IMO it will take a while to get there. Once you get off of the ferry it will take you about another 15 to 20 minutes and remember you have to come back. When we went I didn't feel like we had enough time there and we had docked at Playa del Carmen and tendered in (I didn't have to take the ferry). I will tell you it is an awesome place. :D I hope I have helped.

Thanks Sports Mama! At least it is good to know that it is worth seeing. I am still in limbo over whether to spend that kind of money on it. I don't want to miss Cozumel either. If anyone else out there has been, what is your opinion?

We went to Xcaret acouple of years ago, as a cruise based excursion which included bus transportation to and from the park. The prices posted at the park were cheaper, but if you add in taxi fare, it was only a couple of dollars difference. Not worth the risk of missing the boat if there was a delay in getting back on our own.

Also, are you considering going to Xcaret from Coz? If so you're looking at a couple of hours travel time to ferry over and back. We went from the Calica port(Playa Del Carmen) which was about 15 minutes by bus.

After I posted this I saw Sports Mama's post(she must type faster!). Don't waste your Cozumel port time going to Xcaret. It's a great park, but there is so much to do on Coz, I feel you'd miss out. If you want the park experince at a bargain(~$10) check out Chankanaab Park on Cozumel.

Just me again, may I add a couple of other things. (I hope I don't repeat myself too much)

I agree with SK8Dad--there is A LOT of neat things to do in Cozumel and me personally I would feel very comfortable booking my own excursions in Cozumel and it will save you money too(when you dock you are there-no tendering & no ferries to catch). In my opinion, you need to look at how long your going to be in port. Now realistically how long are you going to be able to stay at Xcaret (I agree with SK8Dad it will take about 2 hours one way)? Will it be worth the price? We were only able to stay about 3 -4 hours and we didn't feel like we got our money's worth--but it is neat. I would love to just go back to Xcaret and spend a lot longer. That is how I would look at it. I haven't been to Chanakaab Park, but have heard great things about it, they have a website too. I can't remember what it is, but just do a search and you should find it. Cozumel has some of the best snorkeling --a lot of great companies to do business with that have great packages and prices. I have heard that Paradise Beach is great too--I think you have to do that on your own, it is not offered by certain cruise lines. Great shopping and eating too!!! I love Cozume--we usually scuba dive and shop when we go to this port, that is why I don't know a whole a lot about the beachesl!!!! I hope haven't been to daunting, I just want to help!!:)

Hey, I appreciate any opinions on this. I have read where other people felt the same way. I think we stay until 6pm in this port. Did you stay that long (not at the park but at the port)? I really want to do this park but if we only got to spend 3 hours like you, I would also be disappointed. Since I don't know that we will get to visit again, I would hate to miss this experience. I guess I could call the cruise line and ask how long we get to stay. It is listed as a 7 hour excursion. Taking into account 2 hours in travel time, that would be 5 hours at the park. Do you think that would be enough time???

Hey, I appreciate any opinions on this. I have read where other people felt the same way. I think we stay until 6pm in this port. Did you stay that long (not at the park but at the port)? I really want to do this park but if we only got to spend 3 hours like you, I would also be disappointed. Since I don't know that we will get to visit again, I would hate to miss this experience. I guess I could call the cruise line and ask how long we get to stay. It is listed as a 7 hour excursion. Taking into account 2 hours in travel time, that would be 5 hours at the park. Do you think that would be enough time???

I would think that from start to finish you will lose at least 3 hrs in travel...

I agree with Ken it will you about 3 hours TOTAL traveling time to get to Xcaret and back. Look at what time your excursion would leave the pier ( you may have to call the cruise line or act like you going to book and it will usually tell you). Keep in mind, if you dock at 9 a.m. you probably won't meet until 10 a.m. (just my guess), which would get you back to the ship around 5 p.m. IMO the max amount of time you would have in the park would be 4 hours. We docked in Calcia/Playa del Carmen and took a shuttle bus to Xcaret, I believe we docked around 9 and left around 4 or 5 p.m. Keep in mind I did not have to catch a ferry from Cozumel.

I do remember one thing about Xcaret--you had to walk a lot to the different places. Just in case you haven't been to there website I have given you a link www.xcaret.com. This will give you a good idea of ALL of the activities they have to offer. Depending on what you and your family want to do while you are there determines whether 4 hours or so is enough time. Make sure you click on the interactive map--there is a lot to do and will show you how spread out it is.

Just two more cents of advice :D !!! If you and your family really want to do this excursion, just do it. I would make sure that I would plan out the things that I really wanted to do and do them first. Print out the map mark off where you wanted to go to and map out the order to save time, so at least you know when you got there you utilized your time wisely. I absolutely loved it, but really wanted more time there.

Sports Mama, This is all good info. I had been to the website but mapping out what we want to do is an excellent idea. This park looks so awesome, I really think this is what we will end up doing regardless of the time restraints. I am also going to call the cruise line just to be sure of the times. My biggest regret is going to be that we don't have enough time to do everything we want to do on this whole trip. It is a shame that the cruise lines don't let us spend more time at the different ports. I would gladly give up the days at sea to see more of the countries. Oh well, I guess to work with what we are given. Many, many thanks for your help!

I am so glad I could help!! I really enjoy these boards it helps me get ready for the cruise and the post cruise depression. Looking forward to a report when you get back. When do you cruise? I will be waiting for your post to see how well everything worked out. :D

We are leaving July 22. I can't wait! I am hoping this trip goes better than our last family cruise last year. This one may be really difficult because I am bringing my dad. I am just planning to make the best of it. With my dad, it really limits what we can do. I will be sure to write a review when I get back. I swear by this website and cruisereviews because you get so much helpful info. I would love to have a job going on these boats and reviewing them. What a dream job! Thanks for your help! And, when is your next cruise???

I would love to have a job going on these boats and reviewing them. What a dream job! Thanks for your help! And, when is your next cruise???

Me too!!:D One draw back, I really would have a weight issue and high cholestrol!! :eek: I already need to lose weight. We will be sailing July 29th. It's in my signature. I will make sure I come back to this thread when I get back to read your review. My parents are cruising with us too. We are all really excited. There will be some things my parents will not be able to do with us in some of the ports, but at least they have each other to do something while they are in couple of ports. We will be going to sting ray city together on a catamaran. Can't wait to see how you guys liked Xcaret. :D

We are leaving July 22. I can't wait! I am hoping this trip goes better than our last family cruise last year. This one may be really difficult because I am bringing my dad. I am just planning to make the best of it. With my dad, it really limits what we can do. I will be sure to write a review when I get back. I swear by this website and cruisereviews because you get so much helpful info. I would love to have a job going on these boats and reviewing them. What a dream job! Thanks for your help! And, when is your next cruise???

Remember to drink lots of water 7/22 will be hot and muggy, recent real feel temps have been in the 100's :eek:

Yuk on the heat! I am planning to bring LOTS of water. We live in Florida so we are pretty used to the heat. In the 100's though is pretty darn hot. At least we can swim to stay cool. I never quite figured out why people do their reviews on these threads vs. doing them on the main 'Cruise Reviews' page. The reviews don't automatically get sent over there do they if they are written here?? No big deal either way. I do think the advice we get on these sites help tremendously. It shouldn't be called a 'chat line' but the' Club for Micromanagers'. I can't imagine planning my trip without being loaded with knowledge. There are tons of us crazy people on here planning every minute of our trips. I guess it keeps us out off the streets and out of trouble!

Ive been to both Xcaret and Chankanaab and enjoyed them a lot,and Im not really a beach/water type person! But went from Calica. Im going to Coz next feb and would love to go back,but its just not enough time to spend at Xcaret to me.But,if I do,I WILL only book thru the ship,would not chance it on my own. My hubby didnt go to Xcaret,but he loved Chankanaab. They are both ALL day affairs IMO.

Dont forget to take your eco-friendly suntan lotion! I usually buy no-ad from Walmart... Dot

Is all No-Ad lotion eco-friendly?? I had no idea any of it is. I have been looking for some but online with shipping it comes out to about $18.00 a bottle. Can you tell me which ones in the No-ad line are good? Thanks. And also, I think I already figured out there is no way to do this excursion on our own. It would only come out a few dollars cheaper and not worth the fear of missing the boat.

Is all No-Ad lotion eco-friendly?? I had no idea any of it is. I have been looking for some but online with shipping it comes out to about $18.00 a bottle. Can you tell me which ones in the No-ad line are good? Thanks. And also, I think I already figured out there is no way to do this excursion on our own. It would only come out a few dollars cheaper and not worth the fear of missing the boat.

I have never looked at ALL of the types to see.but I use the one in the blue bottle spf45 Maximum Sun Block. Make sure the type you choose says Paba-free on it( on the back).I buy mine at Walmart.. Dot

Archived