NY/NJ residents need Rte advice to Bayonne

Alzarine

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am driving down from RI to cruise out of Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ this summer. I would like very much not to have to use the George Washington bridge to reach Bayonne. Congested city driving is not my cup of tea.

If I cross using the Tappan Zee bridge, how would I then find my way down to the cruise port ? I've tried MapQuest but it wants me to take the GW and I really don't want to. The Cape Liberty port website only directs using the GW too.

Thank you for any help or suggestions anyone can provide. :)

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am driving down from RI to cruise out of Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ this summer. I would like very much not to have to use the George Washington bridge to reach Bayonne. Congested city driving is not my cup of tea.

If I cross using the Tappan Zee bridge, how would I then find my way down to the cruise port ? I've tried MapQuest but it wants me to take the GW and I really don't want to. The Cape Liberty port website only directs using the GW too.

Thank you for any help or suggestions anyone can provide. :)

- TPZ to Garden State Parkway to Exit 153 (Route 3 East).

- follow to NJTPK (south)

- then i think you can take the rest of the website directions.

i think Greatam has better driving instincts from the GSP....but if you ask me...my route is pretty simple i'd say.

? The George Washington Bridge is on the North end of Manhattan well within th city limits. The way through the Tappan Zee adds about 30 miles to the trip. I can take you there without the GWB but it means going through either, the Holland or Lincoln Tunnels or the Verrazano's narrows Bridge(and back through to Bayonne...

1. I-95 to The Merritt(ct route 15) to the Hutchsinon River Parkway to the Cross County Parkway(not the the Cross County Expressway) to the end Take the Sam Mill River Parkway (towards NY City) to SpitnDivel(toll) Bridge which becomes the Westside Highway to its end. Take it down to the Holland tunnel(its a left hand turn about three miles after the west side becomes 12 Avenue), the Holland tunnel to NJ Stay in the right lanes get on the NJ Turnpike to exit 14a Bayonne 440 south to the Terminal.

2. above directions but instead of the Holland Tunnel take the lincoln tunnel to the NJ Turnpike at ext 14 get off and take the NJ Turnpike extension back to exit 14 A.

These are mostly car only routes

I would give you the V-N directions but I recommend against it with the current construction....

Thanks to all who answered !

Guess I'll be using ZoneHPH's directions as I really want to use the Tappan Zee even though it adds all the extra miles. My goal is to avoid NYC and parts close to it. Call it an irrational fear .....:eek:

I think I'm a little too near the city to use your directions, Smeyer418 but I do appreciate the time you took to answer.

If the cruise line didn't drop the bus service they had from New England, then I wouldn't have to try to figure out how to avoid NYC traffic. ;)

Thanks to all who answered !

Guess I'll be using ZoneHPH's directions as I really want to use the Tappan Zee even though it adds all the extra miles. My goal is to avoid NYC and parts close to it. Call it an irrational fear .....:eek:

I think I'm a little too near the city to use your directions, Smeyer418 but I do appreciate the time you took to answer.

If the cruise line didn't drop the bus service they had from New England, then I wouldn't have to try to figure out how to avoid NYC traffic. ;)

You are welcome but to make it clear you drive through NY City in the way I posted....good luck....there is plenty of traffic the other way too....

I tried getting mapquest directions thru NJ and had to do a four stop trip, Providence to Tappan Zee Bridge to Orange NJ to Bayonne and it was 220 miles. (It takes you to the Garden State Parkway to 280 to the NJ Turnpike)...every time I tried to get from the Tappan Zee to Bayonne it would take me to the GWB so I picked a place I know in NJ where it should send me the other way....

The other way is 190 miles or so.....I picked Providence because I know that is in RI it will be the same difference from where ever you really are...

I am not saying you should go that way I was just trying to get you turn by turn directions...

they finally came through the servers must be really busy...

DRIVING DIRECTIONS

--------------------------------------------------

A) PROVIDENCE, RI US

1. Start out going SOUTHEAST on EDDY ST toward FULTON ST. (go 0.10 miles)

2. Turn LEFT onto MIDDLE ST. (go 0.04 miles)

3. Turn RIGHT onto DORRANCE ST. (go 0.19 miles)

4. Merge onto I-195 W/US-6 W. (go 0.33 miles)

5. Merge onto I-95 S via the exit on the LEFT toward NEW YORK (Passing through CONNECTICUT- then crossing into NEW YORK). (go 148.86 miles)

6. Take the I-287 W exit- EXIT 21- toward WHITE PLAINS/TAPPAN ZEE BR. (go 0.12 miles)

7. Merge onto I-287 W/CROSS WESTCHESTER EXPY. (go 0.07 miles)

8. Merge onto I-287 W. (go 12 .12 miles)

9. Take EXIT 9 toward US-9/TARRYTOWN. (go 0.26 miles)

10. Turn LEFT onto WHITE PLAINS RD/NY-119/TARRYTOWN-WHITE PLAINS RD. (go 0.26 miles)

11. Turn RIGHT onto S BROADWAY/US-9. (go 0.91 miles)

12. Turn LEFT onto MAIN ST. (go 0.35 miles)

13. MAIN ST becomes DEPOT PLZ/DEPOT PLAZA ST. (go 0.09 miles)

14. Turn LEFT to stay on DEPOT PLZ/DEPOT PLAZA ST. (go 0.02 miles)

15. Turn LEFT onto RAILROAD AVE. (go 0.11 miles)

16. Turn RIGHT onto W MAIN ST. (go 0.19 miles)

17. End at Tappan Zee Bridge Tarrytown, NY US

››ESTIMATED TIME: 2 hours, 59 minutes | TOTAL DISTANCE: 164.02 miles

B) TAPPAN ZEE BRIDGE TARRYTOWN, NY US

1. Start out going EAST on W MAIN ST toward GREEN ST. (go 0.19 miles)

! &n bsp; 2. Turn LEFT onto RAILROAD AVE. (go 0.11 miles)

3. Turn RIGHT onto DEPOT PLZ/DEPOT PLAZA ST. (go 0.02 miles)

4. Turn RIGHT to stay on DEPOT PLZ/DEPOT PLAZA ST. (go 0.09 miles)

5. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto MAIN ST. (go 0.35 miles)

6. Turn RIGHT onto S BROADWAY/US-9. (go 0.81 miles)

7. Merge onto I-287 W/I-87 N/NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY N. (go 10.19 miles)

8. Take the GARDEN STATE PKWY exit- EXIT 14A- toward NEW JERSEY. (go 0.30 miles)

9. Merge onto NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY S (Crossing into NEW JERSEY). (go 2.67 miles)

10. NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY S becomes GARDEN STATE PKWY S (Portions toll). (go 25.33 miles)

11. Merge onto I-280 W via EXIT 145 toward THE ORANGES. (go 1.94 miles)

12. Take EXIT 11B toward DAY ST/ESSEX AVE/ORANGE. (go 0.22 miles)

13. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto FREEWAY DR W. (go 0.19 miles)

14. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto CRANE ST. (go 0.03 miles)

15. End at Orange, NJ US

››ESTIMATED TIME: 50 minutes | TOTAL DISTANCE: 42.42 miles

C) ORANGE, NJ US

1. Start out going NORTHWEST on CRANE ST toward LINCOLN AVE. (go 0.09 miles)

2. Turn LEFT onto LINCOLN AVE. (go 0.11 miles)

3. Turn LEFT onto MECHANIC ST. (go 0.15 miles)

4. Turn LEFT onto S ESSEX AVE. (go 0.09 miles)

5. Turn RIGHT onto FREEWAY DR E. (go 1.18 miles)

6. Merge onto I-280 E via the ramp on the LEFT toward NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE/NEWARK (Portions toll). (go 5.62 miles)

7. Merge onto I-95 S/NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE S (Portions toll). (go 2.43 miles)

8. Take the I-78 exit toward US-! 1/EXIT 1 4-14A-14B-14C/US-9/NEWARK AIRPORT/US-22/HOLLAND TUNNEL. (go 1.43 miles)

9. Merge onto I-78 E/NEW JERSEY TPKE EXT E via the exit on the LEFT toward 14A-BAYONNE/14B-JERSEY CITY/14C HOLLAND TUNNEL (Portions toll). (go 3.28 miles)

10. Take EXIT 14A toward BAYONNE. (go 0.36 miles)

11. Turn SLIGHT LEFT to take the AVE E ramp. (go 0.03 miles)

12. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto AVENUE E. (go 1.32 miles)

13. Turn RIGHT onto E 29TH ST. (go 0.16 miles)

14. End at Bayonne, NJ US

››ESTIMATED TIME: 26 minutes | TOTAL DISTANCE: 16.27 miles

D) BAYONNE, NJ US

››TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 4 hours, 16 minutes | TOTAL DISTANCE: 222.70 miles

MapQuest - http://www.mapquest. com - Helping People Find Places

Thank you sooo much, Smeyer ! If you were on our Bermuda cruise, I'd buy you a couple of drinks. :D

That's exactly what I was looking for......I tried it with Mapquest but it kept throwing me back to the GW. I don't know the area at all so I couldn't come up with an address on the other side of the TPZ.

You are great ! Now if you ever need directions for the Providence/Newport area just ask away.....:)

Thank you sooo much, Smeyer ! If you were on our Bermuda cruise, I'd buy you a couple of drinks. :D

That's exactly what I was looking for......I tried it with Mapquest but it kept throwing me back to the GW. I don't know the area at all so I couldn't come up with an address on the other side of the TPZ.

You are great ! Now if you ever need directions for the Providence/Newport area just ask away.....:)

You are welcome....my summer home was in Westbrook CT so I know the Providence Newport Area so so---Its not far from CT :)

I also assume you know to ignore the directions that take you off the highway. The Cruise terminal directions are signed when you get off the NJ T in Bayonne.

yeah those directions are pretty much more detailed than my quick version. i had you getting off GSP then getting onto NJ TPK. it all works the same especially if you take I-280.

that section that says...to take Exit 145 (GSP) to get onto I-280. pay CLOSE ATTENTION...that ramp is designed weird. you will have a tendency to go straight, but you must bear LEFT going up that ramp. you'll see a sign for Seton Hall University...so go left at the top of Exit 145.

then once you manage that part...pay close attention again. you'll have to pick the correct merge for I-280W. this is an area of congestion at certain times during the day. basically GSP north and south access this area...and everyone squeezes into Exit 145.

Archived