4th of July

ripcurl2151

I'm heading out to Bermuda this week on the Norwegian Crown. I was just wondering if they're is anything going on for the 4th of July. I know it's a British island, but I heard that they usually have something going on. Anyone know anything?

Not really. I know my friend (who is American but lives there married to a Bermudian) has been invited to private 4th of July celebrations on the island, but they would have no reason to celebrate it. I even checked the Bermuda events calendar and didn't see anything listed.

We did a cruise there one year during 4th of July and it fell on a sea day. Even though the cruise ship was foreign, they did offer a little 4th of July celebration on board.

Bermuda will be hosting a hugh fireworks display in honor of the the US 4th Celebration (there have been articles in the Royal Gazette about it) and how close the US and Bermuda have been working together but it will be held on June 30, today. They are hoping that it will be the largest fireworks display ever and that the Guiness Book of Records will be there is certify that it is.

From The Royal Gazette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bermuda-connected Congressman co-hosts thousands at US Independence Day celebration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Ruth O’Kelly-Lynch

Some of the thousands of people who attended the American Society's US Independence Day celebration on Saturday.

Photo By Akil Simmons:

Thousands of people flocked to the US Consulate’s Independence Day celebration on Saturday — believed to be the biggest event of its kind outside America.

Preliminary estimates indicate that between five and six thousand revellers took part in the festivities at Moresby’s Plain, Somerset, which included games, live music and fireworks.

Once the full figures are known, the event could see Bermuda entered in the Guinness Book of Records for the biggest July 4 event outside the US.

The day, hosted by the American Society and US Consulate, was also special in that two members of the US Congress flew in for the party — Congressman G.K. Butterfield, whose father was born in St. George’s, and Congresswoman Diane Watson, a friend of Premier Ewart Brown since his days in Los Angeles.

Both spoke of their high regard for Bermuda, with Congresswoman Watson noting that the relationship between the Island and US was an important historic one for economic and security reasons.

On the topic of bringing a US Coast Guard presence to the Island, she said: “I hope we can negotiate the return of a US base.”

That plan was discussed during bilateral visits paid to Washington DC by US Consul Gregory Slayton along with former Premier Alex Scott last year and with Dr. Brown last month.

Mr. Slayton said of the potential of a base coming: “We’ve been talking about it for quite a while and it’s still at a very preliminary stage.”

Congresswoman Watson also spoke of her long friendship with the Premier, saying: “I was fortunate to meet Ewart many years ago when he was a young man when he came and settled in L.A. as a doctor, when he was very involved in delivering the kind of care people they deserved.

“When he moved back here he gave up his US citizenship because he wanted everyone to know that he was a native of Bermuda.

“This was a work in progress over the decades, that one day he would become the Premier of his homeland.”

Meanwhile Congressman Butterfield spoke of his family roots in Bermuda and the beauty of the Island.

Dr. Brown commended US Consul General Gregory Slayton for organising the day as well as his recent trip to Washington DC, which enabled him to meet many friends of Bermuda.

Mr. Slayton said of the celebration: “It was wonderful, everybody I talked to seemed to be having a good time.”

He said that it took six months, hundreds of thousands of dollars and countless man-hours to make it a success.

“It’s a great example of a Government, non-profit and private sector partnership,” he added.

The event was called “Celebrating Freedom: Giving Back to Bermuda”, with proceeds going to nearly 60 charities across the Island.

The field was littered with things to do for all ages such as jumping castles, puppet shows, games, face painting and football clinics with the Bermuda Hogges.

Surrounding the activities were tents manned by the various charities’ volunteers including a large BBQ buffet, ice cream stalls, cotton candy, snow cones and donut stalls.

Ten-year-old Sarah Jones, from Warwick, said her favourite part was the fun castles: “I’ve got to do lots of fun things and played games there are big and small jumping castles so I was on them a lot. The food is yummy too, I liked the cotton candy.”

While visitor Kay Sinclaire, from Vermont, said she was surprised and happy to see so many people celebrating the holiday even though they weren’t in America.

She said: “It’s just great. I didn’t expect so many people or such a big party. My husband and I think it’s almost better than the one we go to back at home.”

Extra public transport provided by the Ministry of Transport helped ease the traffic jams to the west end of the Island.

Archived