restuarants in Playa del Carmen

Hi folks,

My husband and I along with his parents will be on the Fascination (July 16th) and I think we'll take a cab as recommended into Playa del Carmen. Any suggestions on a great place to have dinner? Also should I just ask the cab to drop us off on the main strip where there is shopping and restuarants etc? Thanks in advance.

We have a list of places we like and recommend (along with some you should avoid) on our Blog: http://playazone.wordpress.com/tag/dining-in-playa/.

Our special favorites include Babes Noodles and Bar (Thai-swedish fusion with fantastic Blueberry Margaritas); El Fogon (a traditional Mexican Grill); La Pesca (for great seafood) and Chicago Don Jose (great steaks and pasta).

Enjoy!

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Garden

We have a list of places we like and recommend (along with some you should avoid) on our Blog: http://playazone.wordpress.com/tag/dining-in-playa/.

Our special favorites include Babes Noodles and Bar (Thai-swedish fusion with fantastic Blueberry Margaritas); El Fogon (a traditional Mexican Grill); La Pesca (for great seafood) and Chicago Don Jose (great steaks and pasta).

Enjoy!

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Garden

Gracias amigos,

After reading about the outstanding food, I don't know if I can wait until Dec. to go to PDC. I am not much of a drinker but the blueberry margiritas sound fantastic and I would bet money that I overindulge on this trip. So much food and so little time.:(

I second the Babes Noodle Bar. The swedish meatballs are wonderful. I had a mango margarita and it was awesome!

here is pic of the swedish meatballs

SwedishMeatballsAtBabes.jpg

Here is my mango margarita with the crab rolls we had as an appetizer.

CrabRollsAtBabes.jpg

• 1 month later...

On a land vacation in the Yucatan a two years ago we stayed 2 nights in PDC and absolutely loved a restaurant called Yaxche. It features Mayan style dishes and had won several national awards for best native/regional cuisine. What I remember as standouts were Shrimp/Chicken dishes with tangerine and other citrus-based sauces, and great Sopa de Limon. It's on 8th St between 5th Ave and 10th Ave (5th Ave is the main shopping drag, 8th St is 8 blocks North of the main square where the ferry terminal is). Very nice building with sidewalk seating, inside seating, and a beautiful center courtyard with seating around a fountain.

All the above picks are very good. LaParilla on Fifth Avenue is a little touristy but very fun and very good food. Try to get an upstairs balcony table and watch Fifth Avenue below you. Mariachi band plays around the dining rooms. You can usually get the door man to give you a couple of marguertas if you ask before going in.

• 2 years later...

i know this post is a few years old but in case you get email alerts this looks delish and i hope i get to try thiswhen i go there. yum yum yum

I second the Babes Noodle Bar. The swedish meatballs are wonderful. I had a mango margarita and it was awesome!

here is pic of the swedish meatballs

SwedishMeatballsAtBabes.jpg

Here is my mango margarita with the crab rolls we had as an appetizer.

CrabRollsAtBabes.jpg

We ate at Babe's a few years ago and I was not that impressed, didn't have the swedish meatballs, though. La Parilla was fun and the food was great. Our BEST meal ever in PDC came at a butcher shop called HC Monterrey that also grills their meat. It was several blocks away (5 I think) from 5th ave. There are a few locations, we tried 2 of them and both were excellent.

• 9 months later...

Carboncitas is a small place with excellent food on a side street off 5th ave. There is a new place on 10th called La Mission that is supposed to have excellent seafood. La Pesca was a wonderful experience, the food was excellent and the owners are very gracious. It is across from Mega Supermarket. Try everything and get a taste of the local flavor, you can't go wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived