Mini suites on Golden Princess.

PRCruiser

I will be celebrating my birthday this coming October on the Golden Princess and I want to make this birthday to be a real special occasion so I am planning on booking a mini suite. What's the difference between the AA, AB, AC AD & AE categories (except for the price)? The AD mini suites are located on the Emerald deck, are they any better than the ones on Dolphin deck? And finally are the balconies covered, semi-covered or completely open? Like always thanks for all your responses!!

Andres

We had a category AC mini (I think it was AC. Could've been AD) on Dolphin for our Golden cruise last summer. It was forward and on the "right" hand side as you looked from the back of the ship to the front. The balcony was totally uncovered, if I recall. It had 4 chairs and a table.

We wanted the mini for the extra room as this was a 10 day voyage. The cruise was very port intensive and the itinerary was Northern Europe / British Isles, so we didn't spend much time on the balcony.

Being so far forward we really didn't experience much "rocking", except for the one night we departed Glasgow and rounded the Outer Hebrides / northern coast of Scotland.

We actually found this cabin quite convenient to the forward stairs which seemed to be seldom used. We rarely use an elevator anyway. We did not mind that the dining room was in the back of the ship; it gave us the chance for a leisurely stroll to The Wheelhouse Bar for cocktails before dinner. The cabin was one floor below (or was it above; I can't recall) from the coin op laundry which was also quite convenient.

All the minisuites are pretty much the same with a few exceptions.

The two that are furthest aft on Dolphin deck have a larger balcony. However, these two cabins were originally intended to be handicap accessible and therefore has a large roll-in shower. It might also be difficult to reconfigure the beds into a queen size.

All the minis on Emerald deck have covered balconies. The two furthest aft have the same large balcony as mentioned above, but have a the standard minisuite bathroom with a tub/shower.

The only difference among the rest is location.

We were on the Golden Princess out of SF in April of this year. Our mini-suite was on Dolphin deck. The balconies are open. We, personally, prefer the open balcony. We could sit outside in the morning and enjoy our coffee in the sun, sunbath in the afternoon, or enjoy an early evening cocktail in the semi shade [depending on which side of the ship you are on]. I believe the difference between AA, AB, AC, etc., is the location.

It Is always nice to know you can ask questions on cruise critic's boards and there will be helpful people like you folks! :)

I think that I will go with a minisuite on Dolphin deck: was looking on the deck plan and right under the mini suites on Emerald deck is the lounge. I have heard complaints in the past of music (or just the bass from it) being heard on cabins above lounge areas. And since I am a platinum member, there is no difference in pricing between all the categories. Most likely will get an aft cabin, close to the stairs to the dining room and to the aft pool...

Now I can't wait for the cruise to get here and for me to have a birthday dinner on that open balcony! Already crossing my finger so I get nice warm weather!

Andres

I booked an AE Guar on the Golden and was assigned an AA, midship on Dolphin, loved the location right by the central elevators - super convenient to everything. I didn't mind the uncovered balcony - there was hardly anyone ever out there, rarely saw a soul except for sailaway time.

Just me/us, but the only mini I would book on a Grand Class ship is an AD on Emerald.....been there 5 cruises snd would book any of the ADs in a heartbeat over the minis on Dolphin.

We did a Caribe balcony (not mini) on the Sapphire and even though the balcony was half covered/half open, wouldn't do it again. And on that cruise we looked down on the minis on Dolphin, totally open balconies. Yuck....

If you can snag E728 or E729 just do it, been there 5 times on various Grand class ships, and Golden was our favorite. Those cabins have the extra large extended balcony. If not, just get any other mini on Emerald.

We love the aft of the ship. We have never had any problem with noise bleed from whatever below. My 80 year old mom and aunt had no problem with any noise bleed and they went to bed early. The minis on Emerald are totally covered and you are the closest to the sea. The back elevators take you directly up to Lido deck or down to the activity decks. There is a self serve laundry right down the hall.

Just my opinion, but been there....and can't wait to go back!

Judy

Totally agree with Judy. We had E729 on Golden for 10 days out of SF. Perfect location. No noise from the lounge underneath. Huge covered balcony. Quick access to the buffet and pools. Toured a Dolphin mini, and uh, no, not for me. It was raining when we returned to San Francisco, but we could go out on balcony, and stay dry, to watch us sail back into the bay. I also love the aft view as well as the side view.

Have a wonderful time.

Sharon

No offense to Marmarjudy, but we didn't find the mini-suites on Dolphin deck at all 'yucky'. We were forward, it was very quiet, and close to elevators and stairs. Since we arrived into SF around 4:30 AM the open balcony wasn't a problem as we were sound asleep. I think it's a matter of preference. I believe the cabins are basically the same size, floorplan, etc., I may be incorrect as I have not seen them all. We enjoy the open balcony as we love the sunshine. I doubt I would be out on my balcony if it was raining anyway.

No offense to Marmarjudy, but we didn't find the mini-suites on Dolphin deck at all 'yucky'. We were forward, it was very quiet, and close to elevators and stairs. Since we arrived into SF around 4:30 AM the open balcony wasn't a problem as we were sound asleep. I think it's a matter of preference. I believe the cabins are basically the same size, floorplan, etc., I may be incorrect as I have not seen them all. We enjoy the open balcony as we love the sunshine. I doubt I would be out on my balcony if it was raining anyway.

And you want to be on out on your balcony with all the decks above looking down on you? And you are paying for a mini suite? Emerald ADs have the privacy and also the great cabin space.

I personally had a problem with the half covered Caribe, regular balcony cabin, but half uncovered. I did not like the lack of privacy, from above and below, and surely did not want to be in the Dolphin mini, totally exposed to how many other decks above?

Just my opinion.....

Judy

Archived