What to do in NYC as our flight arrives early?

jrmende63

Our flight arrives at 0830. We have a car service picking us up and taking us to the Cruise terminal.We are landing at LGA. and going on the Carnival Victory, 9-15-07. I had the flight so it arrived later and Delta changed it to earlier. We will have between 3-4 bags with us. The car service told me that we could drop our bags off at the terminal and then we should walk to 42nd street and shop. Is this a feasible thing to do? I don't even know if the cruise terminal will let us in at this early hour. What do you New Yorkers think? Or anyone that has done this cruise or any cruise out of NY? I would love to see a little bit of NYC but the car service said it would be too congested that time of day to drive around. That is why the guy suggested walking to 42nd street.

thanks, Julie

I'm not a New Yorker and have only been there twice but I'll chime in: You'll be leaving from the Manhattan terminal at 4 pm. Here's the contact list for the terminal if you wish to ask them questions.

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/contactNYC.html

I think it will be 9:30-10:00 at the earliest before you will get to the terminal after collecting luggage and driving and that's only if the plane is on time. The passengers from the previous week will most likely still be disembarking. I have heard of them letting people embark as early as 11:00 so you most likely will be able to go ahead and check your luggage at the terminal. Worse case is that you have to wait with your luggage an hour or so before they take it. There is no where else in NYC to leave luggage to go siteseeing...it's a common problem for those having a few hours before flying out after getting off ship or pre-cruise. You can even leave the ship after boarding and going to your stateroom...just make sure you're back on board an hour before ship leaves.

It's about a mile walk to 42nd@Broadway(Times Square)...very doable if you don't mind the time it takes. According to hopstop.com this will take you about 25 minutes...it also calculates a 10 minute cab fare at $6.33 and cabs should be plentiful at the pier at that time of day.

Of course once you're on the ship, you'll be able to enjoy lunch and may not want to leave. Depending on what you want to see in NY, get the addresses off the internet and plug them in at hopstop.com and it will tell you distance and walking time.

Have a great time!

I'm not a New Yorker and have only been there twice but I'll chime in: You'll be leaving from the Manhattan terminal at 4 pm. Here's the contact list for the terminal if you wish to ask them questions.

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/contactNYC.html

I think it will be 9:30-10:00 at the earliest before you will get to the terminal after collecting luggage and driving and that's only if the plane is on time. The passengers from the previous week will most likely still be disembarking. I have heard of them letting people embark as early as 11:00 so you most likely will be able to go ahead and check your luggage at the terminal. Worse case is that you have to wait with your luggage an hour or so before they take it. There is no where else in NYC to leave luggage to go siteseeing...it's a common problem for those having a few hours before flying out after getting off ship or pre-cruise. You can even leave the ship after boarding and going to your stateroom...just make sure you're back on board an hour before ship leaves.

It's about a mile walk to 42nd@Broadway(Times Square)...very doable if you don't mind the time it takes. According to hopstop.com this will take you about 25 minutes...it also calculates a 10 minute cab fare at $6.33 and cabs should be plentiful at the pier at that time of day.

Of course once you're on the ship, you'll be able to enjoy lunch and may not want to leave. Depending on what you want to see in NY, get the addresses off the internet and plug them in at hopstop.com and it will tell you distance and walking time.

Have a great time!

Thank you for the information! I don't mind the walk to 42nd @Broadway...I really would like to see Times Square! I just didnot know if they would allow me to check the luggage with the porters since the previous cruisers would still be getting off.

• 2 weeks later...

Do NOT take a cab from the terminal. Walk across the street and pick one up on a side street or 12th avenue. The meter will be running seemingly forever until you see daylight out of the terminal; a real zoo.

The walk over to Times Square is not too bad. Make sure to visit Hershey's Chocolate World on Broadway and either 48th or 49th (not sure which). Directly across Broadway is the new M&M World. If it has the M&M logo on it, they carry it; not cheap but unique. There is a Toys R Us with an indoor ferris wheel.

If you walk across 50th street to 6th Avenue, you will be at Rockefeller Center. http://www.rockefellercenter.com/home.html There are a lot of interesting things to see there. Radio City, NBC Studios, The Promenade and Top of The Rock which has great views of Manhattan. Your time is probably better spent there than Times Square. But then again, why not do both?

A word of caution. Times Square while cleaned up and family friendly is still the home to many who will try to make your visit to the Big Apple less than enjoyable. Always be on your guard. This from a native New Yorker.

Archived