Question about luggage on Princess cruisetour staring in Bangkok

mediaman

Hello;

In November, I am taking the Bangkok to Beijing cruise (Sapphire Princess) with the pre-cruise package of Bangkok-Chang Mai-Cambodia(Siem Reap)-Bangkok.

My question is about luggage arrangements for a trip like this. How is it usually handled by Princess?

For this type of extended tour package I usually travel with a larger suitcase, a carry on and an optional, smaller suitcase. That's a lot to lug around if it stays with me on the pre-cruise travels! The internal air flights may not even allow all that baggage. Transfers can become clumsy. On the air return to Bangkok there is a direct transfer to the ship in the distant port. It may not be from the same airport as arrival?

It would make sense, I think, if Princess held my large bag while I pack my smaller case for the pre-cruise travels. Is it done this way?

Has anyone any experience in this type of cruisetour arrangement? Thanks for any ideas or help. Am I being too concerned and Princess has it all arranged so that I just need to wait for more information, later?

Hello;

In November, I am taking the Bangkok to Beijing cruise (Sapphire Princess) with the pre-cruise package of Bangkok-Chang Mai-Cambodia(Siem Reap)-Bangkok.

My question is about luggage arrangements for a trip like this. How is it usually handled by Princess?

For this type of extended tour package I usually travel with a larger suitcase, a carry on and an optional, smaller suitcase. That's a lot to lug around if it stays with me on the pre-cruise travels! The internal air flights may not even allow all that baggage. Transfers can become clumsy. On the air return to Bangkok there is a direct transfer to the ship in the distant port. It may not be from the same airport as arrival?

It would make sense, I think, if Princess held my large bag while I pack my smaller case for the pre-cruise travels. Is it done this way?

Has anyone any experience in this type of cruisetour arrangement? Thanks for any ideas or help. Am I being too concerned and Princess has it all arranged so that I just need to wait for more information, later?

I'm glad you brought this topic up. We are taking a Europe cruisetour and were told we had a limit of 44 lbs per person. We were told this was not due to Princess but due to the regional airline involved. We thought they would allow us to take one bag and keep the rest (like they did for our Alaska cruisetour) but they said no, we have to handle all our luggage ourselves. Princess referred us to their new service where you can ship some of your bags directly to your ship, but the cost is astronomical. We are resigned to packing much less than we had intended, especially our dressy clothes. We are not clothes horses who bring lots of clothing to begin with, but try to imagine packing for almost 3 weeks of travel and keeping it under 44 lbs. We will have to think ahead about souvenir shopping as well.:(

We are doing Beijing to Bangkok with precruise tour. We start out at a hotel in Beijing, go to Xian and return to the same Beijing hotel. I've read reviews telling that they only took a small bag to Xian and left their larger pieces of luggage at the hotel in Beijing. I'm hoping that's the plan for us as well.

Fortunately Princess ships have laundry rooms - 44 lbs for 3 weeks would be tough. Here's a case for new lighter weight luggage if you don't already have it. You could always buy a new piece of luggage at one of your ports, to bring home your souveniers:).

We did the Beijing - Singapore trip on the Sapphire Princess in Nov - with the pre-cruise excursion Beijing - Xian return. We were allowed one carry on each for the trip up to Xian -- the hotel had our other luggage tagged and held in a secure area while we were away overnight. We opted to take a cabin size roll-aboard and tote bag which fit nicely on top so that travelling through the airport was no hassle. The flights we were on to and from Xian were absolutely full and overhead bin space was at a premium. We didn't have to 'check in' to get our boarding passes but rather our tour guides handed them out to us and we went through security - and everyone in our group had read the rules about luggage so no one expected to check anything through. When we arrived in Xian it was simply a matter of everyone gathering and off to the buses! When we returned to Beijing our luggage was in our hotel room waiting. We really enjoyed the excursion to Xian - the Terra Cotta warriors are a true wonder - and the other sites we visited were also amazing. Have a great time!

Archived