Questions about sailing Valparaiso tp Buenos Aires

longduo

Questions about Insignia Valparaiso to Buenos Aires We are sailing on the Insignia Jan.10 from Valparaiso to BA. This will be our first Oceania cruise tho' we have over 400 days at sea on other lines. We are looking forward to trying something new.

Dress for day: It will be hot in Valpo and BA. How soon will it start to get cold? Do we need mainly clothes for cold weather? Will we actually need winter jacket or will layers covered with waterproof jacket, hat and gloves suffice?

Dress for dinner: The Oceania DVD and brochures show most men wearing sport coats to dinner and the women quite dressed up. Is that the real story?

Shore excursions: They are not yet available to reserve online. Is 90 days in advance the standard for Oceania? Are there any ports where it is better to do independent travel?

Embarkation: What time can you normally check in?

We would also appreciate any helpful hints or ideas from those who have done this cruise before (in either direction.)

Thanks!

Longduo

• 2 weeks later...
Questions about Insignia Valparaiso to Buenos Aires We are sailing on the Insignia Jan.10 from Valparaiso to BA. This will be our first Oceania cruise tho' we have over 400 days at sea on other lines. We are looking forward to trying something new.

Dress for day: It will be hot in Valpo and BA. How soon will it start to get cold? Do we need mainly clothes for cold weather? Will we actually need winter jacket or will layers covered with waterproof jacket, hat and gloves suffice?

Dress for dinner: The Oceania DVD and brochures show most men wearing sport coats to dinner and the women quite dressed up. Is that the real story?

Shore excursions: They are not yet available to reserve online. Is 90 days in advance the standard for Oceania? Are there any ports where it is better to do independent travel?

Embarkation: What time can you normally check in?

We would also appreciate any helpful hints or ideas from those who have done this cruise before (in either direction.)

Thanks!

Longduo

I can answer your first question. You may wish to post on the Oceana CC forum your others. It will get cool immediately after leaving Valparaiso won't warm up until BA. Some people on our cruise did in fact have winter jackets. However, we were fine with a piece of fleece (hoodie) and a weather proof jacket. It will get quite cool and windy. Duck boots or something similar is a good idea if you are going out to the penguin rookeries:) :D :) :D

Although I haven't taken this cruise, I have been to Antarctica. There are two considerations. Where are you from? How do you handle the cold? Prepare to layer your clothing and have a windproof jacket. Make sure that your feet and hands will be warm and wear a hat. The scenery is too beautiful to view it from indoors.

eh2zed, I just love your name. I bet that you don't use the eh in your every day speech. Where in Tim Horton land are you from?

Fran

Archived