Cost of Taxi??

Hi

I was wondering as to the cost of a taxi from Brisbane airport to Portside and how long does the journey take? Also as our plane gets in at 6 am what would be a reasonable time to head over to the terminal so that we can get on the ship as early as possible and maybe catch some sleep before sailaway? We know we will need to catch some sleep as we will be driving 4 hours to catch our flight leaving Darwin at 1.40 am - so will be stuffed!!! Ah, the joys of living in the outback!!!

Originally my parents were going to take us when they meet us off the plane and pick up the kids but we just realised that their car isn't big enough so now we are going to get a taxi.

Thanks Rach

Hi Sweet_Successes,

Have you thought about emailing some of the taxi companies and asking for a quote? At 6 am on a Saturday morning (if you are sailing on a Saturday), I wouldn't imagine there would be too much traffic from the airport to Portside. Taxi companies in Brisbane are:

http://www.yellowcab.com.au & http://www.blackandwhitecabs.com.au. I just did a quote in yellow taxis and it is roughly $22 from domestic to Hamilton.

Good Luck,

Sarah

I'm not 100% sure as I've never sailed from Brisbane (yet) but from what i've heard you probably won't be able to board until around 10am-ish??? Maybe someone who's sailed from Bris can give you a better idea though. Might be worth checking out some of the local accomodation to see if you can catch a few hours sleep while you wait?? There are a few hotel/motels on Kingsford Smith Drive, which is a stones throw away (it's the main road that leads into Portside).

I'm not 100% sure as I've never sailed from Brisbane (yet) but from what i've heard you probably won't be able to board until around 10am-ish??? Maybe someone who's sailed from Bris can give you a better idea though. Might be worth checking out some of the local accomodation to see if you can catch a few hours sleep while you wait?? There are a few hotel/motels on Kingsford Smith Drive, which is a stones throw away (it's the main road that leads into Portside).

Hi! I don't know if it's the same for every cruise leaving from Brisbane but they didn't start letting passengers on till around 10am when we went a few months ago. It looked a bit chaotic when we first got there, as people were still coming off from the last one but it was actually really well organised. As we handed our bags in they gave us numbered tickets for boarding the ship as well as vouchers for discounted coffee or something from one of the shops. We didn't have to wait too long for our group to be called. The Portside terminal is new and very nice. Restaurants, delicatessan, paper shop - even a picture show.There are plenty of places to sit inside or outside to wait till you are allowed on board. We left on a Sat and everything was open. Best wishes from Pink Poodle.

At 6.00am it will only take about 10 minutes to drive from the Airport to Hamilton, cost between $20 and $30.

Don't envy you that flight from Darwin Rach, my parents recently did the 1.40am flight from Darwin to Brisbane - they certainly got off it looking a bit weary - they had a 3hr wait in Brisbane and then another 2hr flight to Melbourne ahead of them. We met them for Breakfast and to keep them awake to make sure they made it onto their flight to Melbourne!

Our tickets, which arrived today, have an embarkation time of 11am on the 8th of September. They'll probably start taking luggage before that though. There are several nice food establishments at Portside that you'll be able to get yourself a nice breakfast and relax a bit before boarding the ship. You might even be able to catch an early movie at the Cinema down there.

Kym

Thanks everyone for your help - have now budgeted about $30 for taxi and some money for coffee at portside. I think we will probably hang around the airport with my parents for an hour or 2 - they are meeting us off the plane and taking the kids. So I think we will head over to portside about 9 am as my parents and the kids have an hour drive back to mums - she lives in Nambour.

its times like these - with the darwin red eye flights sometimes being the only ones available during tourist season - that there are disadvantages to being up here - as well as only getting 1 week school holidays in Sept/OCt - oh well shouldn't complain too much we do get 4 weeks in the middle of the year - that just happens to be tourist season - which is a bit luck duck season :p

Rach

Archived