Vineyard recomendations in Chile

kazover40

We are on the Dream 7-21 Nov from Valapraiso in Chile.

Anyone recommend a vineyard on the route from Santiago to Valapraiso.

Thought we would buy a couple of cases on our way and pay the 15$ corkage, nice to drink something you know you will like.

We love spanish wines and know that many chillean are similar!

Also do they make a Champagne type in Chile?

kazover, I just found this name from a CC post..."Vina del Mar"

They said they went there en route from the cruise port to Santiago. Hope this helps...I'm going to look the winery up and will let you know if I find more info. My husband is going to Santiago on business and I knew that my ÇC buds would have info for us!:cool:

kazover, I just found this name from a CC post..."Vina del Mar"

They said they went there en route from the cruise port to Santiago. Hope this helps...I'm going to look the winery up and will let you know if I find more info. My husband is going to Santiago on business and I knew that my ÇC buds would have info for us!:cool:

Vina del Mar is NOT a winery. It is a seaside city that most cruise ships leave from. Vina del Mar/Valparaiso are almost one and the same-separated/joined at the hip. Vina is more upscale/touristy, Valparaiso is the industrial area. They are no more than 5 minutes apart and in some areas there is no dividing line.

Concho y Toro is probably the most famous winery on the "winery route" from Santiago to Valparaiso. Reservations are normally required unless you book a tour.

Here's some information about wineries in Chile: http://www.chipsites.com/chile-travel/wine-chilean-wineries.html

And here's a list of wineries:

http://www.travelenvoy.com/wine/chile1.htm

You can rent a car from Advantage rent a car, do your own winery tour on your own schedule and either pick up or drop off in Vina. Make sure you have Chilean pesos for the toll road. Enjoy!!!

Thanks so much GreatAm! I guess the poster got confused! It is difficult to find info on the wineries and I appreciate your websites!

Before reading your post, I had come up with this possible tour on the internet:

Day 2: Santiago

Half day excursion to Maipo Valley and Viña Cousiño Macul, the country's oldest vineyard and one of the few wineries in Chile in which all wine is made from grapes grown in its own vineyards, and the grand Viña Concha y Toro in Pirque, the largest wine exporter in Chile. Lunch and return to Santiago. Overnight.

I am now going to enjoy exploring your recommended sites and do some printing for my husband. He'd better bring me back a VERY special bottle!;)

Archived