Majahual massages - hold onto your watch!

Lynn TG

I just got back from a cruise on the Legend. Costa Maya was ok, the massages are great, but if you get one DON'T LET THEM TAKE OFF YOUR WATCH! My mom and I had a 1 hour massage for $20. It was great, but seems very short. After our massage, we found out they turned both of our watches back 15-20 minutes!

This is not to discourage you from getting a massage, you'll still save about 400% from the ship prices. I just wanted to warn you ahead of time.

And don't drink the margaritas in Majahual, they have ice in them that can make you sick - stick to beer!

And don't drink the margaritas in Majahual, they have ice in them that can make you sick - stick to beer!

This is the first time I've heard anyone say this. Are you speaking from experience, or just what you've heard?

This was experience. Me and my mom came out of the cabs by ourselves, so they probably knew it was just the two of us. I never heard it either. We asked several groups of people what time they had - both my mother and I had the same times on our watch, and it just so happened to be 15 minutes later than everyone else's watches. You know how it is on a ship, everything is to the minute - our watches were set exactly to ship time. I was shocked that anyone would do this! This was a tent on it's own, NOT next to the Cat's Meow. I don't want to discourage their business, the people there are poor and need the money, just warning people to be careful.

It really is a myth these days about Mexico and water. Many resorts and towns the depend upon tourists (such as Coasta Maya) all purchase and use filtered water and ice. We have been to various locations around Mexico at least 8 times over the last 5 years and NOT once had an issue with water or ice. If you are concerned, before ordering just simply ask if the ice is purified water but I almost guarantee you it is from the one ice company that you see delivering to all the reputable businesses.

I was the one who drank the margaritas. I am not 100% sure it was the ice that made me ill or just plain old dehydration from 5 days on a ship or the hot sun.... but they warn you not to drink the water and I ate the ice and figured that is what made me ill. I should have brought a bottle of water with me. Come to think of it, maybe it was all the toxins released from my massage! So bring a bottle or water when you have yours!

That's not entirely true. We always go to Oxtankah and I specifically asked about the ice. It's bagged purified ice that they have trucked in. You can sit at the bar and watch them using it. We've had drinks there many many times with no ill effects. If you're concerned, ask them what they are using for ice. If they were making people sick, no one would go there. Tourism is their livelihood.

A a person who gets massages regularly, meaning twice a month the FIRST thing a good therapist will advise you is, drink lots of water after your massage to flush your system or you will have a whopper of a headache the next day from the toxins.

I would think the last thing one should partake in after a massage is the consumption of alcoholic beverages without any water.

But then again everyone is different!

It doesn't take long between the sun, and alcohol to get dehydrated and that will definitely make you sick with or without alcohol.

Susan

Funny story I thought I would share.

We live in So. Texas....have grown up near Mexico. Travelled alot there.

Have seen it evolve.

Well a few years ago we planned a week in Mazatlan. My brother and his wife joined us. He has a very touchy stomach and was worried to death about eating there. I told him not to worry..... things are much better as they depend on tourist $$.

Well turns out he ATE EVERYTHING..... LOVED IT AND NO PROBLEM. In fact said his stomach had given him no problems at all. But one evening as we were leaving to go to dinner (with special Mexican show) he felt ill...... I asked him if he had drank any water that day..... NO ! Well - long story short.....he was sick from NOT DRINKING THE WATER :D He stayed in the condo and drank a bunch of water and felt better within an hour or two.

SO..... stay hydrated.....drink lots of water.

Lynn, I'm so sorry to hear of your experience, that's awful! I'd never heard of that before. And even worse, having the wrong time on your watch could have caused problems with missing the ship, yikes!

Just wanted to add that when I had a massage at that elevated platform place (farther into the village than Cat's Meow) that the masseuse was very careful to put the little basket with my "stuff" (including watch) directly underneath the massage table, where I could see it through the face rest (or whatever that's called). (It was an excellent massage, btw, and a bit more privacy up there than on the beach.)

Maybe, at these other places, customers could put their belongings in that same spot to avoid any watch tampering! Just a suggestion.

Regards,

Jan

Oh yes lack of water will make you quite sick. I have had two experiences from this. One at a ballfield when my daughter was playing softball. I almost passed out and I was seeing stars. Very ill on my stomach.

The other was at Disney's private island. We had been on a 7 day cruise and I had not drank much water. On the walk back to the ship I became very ill. It was quite embarrassing to become ill in public and there was nothing I could do but be sick where I was located on the path.

I now try to remember to drink my water.

• 2 weeks later...
That is the massage located on the elevated level. They did a very nice job. All five of us in the family got 1. They lasted for one hour and it only cost $20. We did give them a tip.

I've been twice but never got a message. I want to when I go back in October and this is the only place I'll consider going because I am modest. Just how many people are up there getting a message at one time? How "exposed" do you feel?

• 2 weeks later...
That is the massage located on the elevated level. They did a very nice job. All five of us in the family got 1. They lasted for one hour and it only cost $20. We did give them a tip.

This is where I had mine as well well worth $20

I was skeptical to drink margaritas from Mahajual (sp?), but everyone in my group did, and none of us got sick. This was at Cat's Meow by the way.

My boyfriend's mom had a massage next to Cat's Meow. She loved it! Fortunately, none of her belongings were messed with. Thanks for the info though! At least we know to watch out for it next time!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I just got back from a cruise on the Legend. Costa Maya was ok, the massages are great, but if you get one DON'T LET THEM TAKE OFF YOUR WATCH! My mom and I had a 1 hour massage for $20. It was great, but seems very short. After our massage, we found out they turned both of our watches back 15-20 minutes!

This is not to discourage you from getting a massage, you'll still save about 400% from the ship prices. I just wanted to warn you ahead of time.

I have had a massage in Majuhal and they did not bother my wifes watch (I did not have one on) when she removed it. Also, we had plenty of frozen drinks made with ice and had no problem with it at all..... Perhaps the liquor killed the nasty little germs though !

Archived