Alaska Shore Excursions -- Build your own or book with cruise line?

Denali723

Thanks to all so far who have responded. Your willingness to share your thoughts and personal experiences has been great! One note -- I checked out the Skagway Extravaganza and the more I read the more I like it(I like thetrain, my husband wants to pan for gold, we ALL love salmon). Then I got to the last line: minimum age is 16 (I guess the brothel tour IS a bit much icon_eek.gif)...My 11-year-old is mature -- but not that mature. But there are lots of other options still to explore. Thanks again!

abc

You may be able to take the White Pass Train tour through the ship and then go to the Liarsville Gold Rush camp to pan for gold and eat salmon on your own. I read something about a Liarsville Shuttle somewhere. You can probably find out for sure by contacting the Skagway Visitors Bureau. You can email them at infoskag@aptalaska.net or you can give them a call at (907)983-2854. It takes a little extra research. But if it's something you think you'd enjoy, it may be worth it. Good luck whatever you decide.

Carol459:

Now I'm really confused. The ship excursions I booked were guided by Americans, and mostly Alaskan residents, even a few part Tlingit. I don't understand your comments about Americans need customers? Can you please explain? Are there ship lines who hire foreigners to guide tours?

CruiseIsGood,

When they go to a foreign country,yes. I meant that when you go to a foreign country, you must be more careful. Not so in the US. Sorry for the confusion.

Carol

12/2004 Spirit(Mexico)

09/2004 Paradise(Panama Canal)

05/2004 Mercury(Alaska)

02/2004 Regal Princess(Hawaii)

01/2004 Ecstasy(Mexico)

12/2003 Ryndam(Sea of Cortez)

09/2003 Paradise(E. Carrib)

02/2003 Conquest(W. Carrib)

05/2002 Elation (Mex.Riviera)

http://www.gifs.net/animate/img/boat.gif/img

Archived