Flying to Venice

rannoch

This thread was posted in the Celebrity board, and I was advised to post here.

We start our cruise on the Millenium in Venice.

Our route to Venice is Glasgow > Amsterdam > Venice, and although I've been assured that we have enough time to get from the Glasgow arrival gate to the Venice departure gate in Amsterdam I'm not convinced given the security delays.

We have 45 minutes between flights, and I've been told because KLM have arranged the flights that if we are delayed they (KLM) will ensure we get to our destination.

So, a number of questons;

Is 45 minutes enough time to get from arrival gate to departure gate.

What happens to out luggage if we are delayed.

Does anyone know the arrival gate from Glasgow and the departure gate for Venice - I could then get an idea of distance from the airport map

Is KLM responsibe for getting us to our destination

Has anyone experienced this connection.

I know this sounds like "doom and gloom", but I'd rather be prepared if possible.

Many Thanks

Rannoch

Our route to Venice is Glasgow > Amsterdam > Venice, and although I've been assured that we have enough time to get from the Glasgow arrival gate to the Venice departure gate in Amsterdam I'm not convinced given the security delays.

We have 45 minutes between flights, and I've been told because KLM have arranged the flights that if we are delayed they (KLM) will ensure we get to our destination.

So, a number of questons;

Is 45 minutes enough time to get from arrival gate to departure gate.

What happens to out luggage if we are delayed.

Does anyone know the arrival gate from Glasgow and the departure gate for Venice - I could then get an idea of distance from the airport map

Is KLM responsibe for getting us to our destination

Has anyone experienced this connection.

I assume that you are on the 0555 from Glasgow, arriving Amsterdam at 0840; then departing Amsterdam at 0925, arriving Venice at 1120?

If you have no inbound delay, 45 minutes should be fine for making the connection. Amsterdam is basically one big terminal. There are travelators everywhere, which mean you can "walk" twice as fast as normal. Your only possible delays are at passport control when you cross the immigration border into Schengenland, which will just depend on how the day has gone so far for them, and for security, which is very often done at the gate in any event so the airline will know that you're there and almost ready to go.

If you misconnect, KLM is indeed responsible for reaccommodating you. The next flight leaves Amsterdam at 1450, arriving Venice at 1635. I don't know what time your ship sails, but I assume that this would be enough time for you to make it? Your baggage should be picked and re-routed to travel with you if this happens.

Thanks Globaliser,

Right on the button regarding the flight times.

We board the ship on Sunday, and it sails Monday afternoon. So, hopefully any delays have been fixed by then.

I'm assuming as the flights are part fo the package, a rep will be waiting at Venice to take us to the ship. If we miss the 9:25 connecton to Venice how will we let Celebrity know we have been delayed.

Rannoch

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if I have asked similar to this question on the forum before, but I'm going round in circles. Can anyone help me get an answer.

I'm flying KLM Glasgow - Amsterdam - Venice.

Both KLM website and Customer Services state check-in luggage is 20Kg - one case.

The KLM website states that hand luggage is up to a weight of 12Kg. I phoned KLM and was told the max weight is 10Kg and the size must not exceed 55cm x 35cm x 25cm.

I'm flying back BA - Barcelona - Heathrow - Glasgow. When I phoned BA I got a recorded message regarding luggage allowance. Although the check-in weight is 23Kg they say are allowing up to the old weight (30Kg) until 30th September - I won't chance that!

Regarding hand luggage BA only specify that the size should not exceed 55cm x 45cm (KLM was 35cm) x 25cm, and although no weight is specified, you should be able to lift the luggage to the overhead locker.

Advice from this website was that I need to go by the lowest weight. So, 20Kg for check-in luggage. Fair enough.

So the hand luggage will need to be heavier than we would normally carry, but what?

The maximum sizes between KLM and BA are different, and BA don't specify a weight.

In addition, my travel agent says the weight for hand luggage is 5Kg.

Any advice rwally appreciated.

Rannoch

I'm flying back BA - Barcelona - Heathrow - Glasgow. When I phoned BA I got a recorded message regarding luggage allowance. Although the check-in weight is 23Kg they say are allowing up to the old weight (30Kg) until 30th September - I won't chance that!
It is accurate advice, and I have already taken advantage of this myself more than once. In fact, the permitted weight until 30 September is 32 kg per piece - and it's not really the "old" weight, either, as for most economy passengers one piece at 32 kg is more than they have ever been allowed before.

I'm sorry if I have asked similar to this question on the forum before, but I'm going round in circles. Can anyone help me get an answer.

I'm flying KLM Glasgow - Amsterdam - Venice.

Both KLM website and Customer Services state check-in luggage is 20Kg - one case.

The KLM website states that hand luggage is up to a weight of 12Kg. I phoned KLM and was told the max weight is 10Kg and the size must not exceed 55cm x 35cm x 25cm.

Regarding hand luggage BA only specify that the size should not exceed 55cm x 45cm (KLM was 35cm) x 25cm, and although no weight is specified, you should be able to lift the luggage to the overhead locker.

Advice from this website was that I need to go by the lowest weight. So, 20Kg for check-in luggage. Fair enough.

So the hand luggage will need to be heavier than we would normally carry, but what?

The maximum sizes between KLM and BA are different, and BA don't specify a weight.

In addition, my travel agent says the weight for hand luggage is 5Kg.

Any advice rwally appreciated.

Rannoch

Hello again rannoch... there used to be a max weight for hand baggage(carry on) ..BA has actually weighed my hand baggage before now in Barcelona airport ...and I could be wrong, but perhaps Globaliser will confirm what I think to be the case now...that when they brought in the size issue for hand baggage (ie must fit inside the grid thing including all handles , straps etc etc ) they seemed less concerned about the weight except for the proviso that you must be able to load it into the lockers unaided ... the handbaggage weight now seems more flexible and larger but the "size of your bag" issue isn't...I think the size issue is the part that BAA (not BA the airline) requires PAX to adhere to, rather than individual airlines saying what you are restricted to carry on and so the BAA requirement ( ie. fit the grid thing) is the thing to consider as well as the weight in determining what handbaggage you can take.

for example ....one bag the right size plus whatever stuff that fits into it but weighing no more than the allowed weight ...(eg. 10kgs???) dependant on your airline allowance.

Will be interesting to find out what is the correct info. from Globaliser.. I'd like to know for sure as well as we will be doing the fairly similar BCN/ LHR/ EDI journey on BA back from BCN in Nov. after the current dispensation of the BA checked baggage allowances finishes.

there used to be a max weight for hand baggage(carry on) ..BA has actually weighed my hand baggage before now in Barcelona airport ...and I could be wrong, but perhaps Globaliser will confirm what I think to be the case now...that when they brought in the size issue for hand baggage (ie must fit inside the grid thing including all handles , straps etc etc ) they seemed less concerned about the weight except for the proviso that you must be able to load it into the lockers unaided ...
Yes, the BA website is correct about this. There are size limits imposed both by the airline and the airport (at the DfT's direction). So your cabin baggage must be no bigger than the most restrictive limits. And as far as BA is concerned, there is no weight restriction other than that you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker yourself. The cabin crew have been given strict instructions that they are not to lift any passenger's bags: it is not part of their job to do this, and too many of them get hurt doing it, so if the passenger can't lift it themselves, it shouldn't be inside the cabin and will get put into the hold.

Archived