Gulf vs Inside Passage routing of Ryndam?

gonnago

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There are essentially two Alaska cruise itineraries -- the Inside Passage and the Gulf of Alaska. The first is primarily a seven-night round trip voyage from Seattle or Vancouver. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is on the Home Page of CC in the Fun Facts about Alaska. The Ryndam on May 28th leaves Vancouver for a 7 day trip to Seward. Does this mean we will sail in the Gulf of Alaska and not the Inside Passage for most of trip?

Also, this is worrisome to me <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A word of caution: If you are going to run into choppy seas it's more likely to be in the open waters of the Gulf of Alaska than in the largely protected stretch of the Inside Passage.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>. Didn't think we would have much to worry about on Inside Passage with seasickness.

Anyone knowledgeable about the route of this cruise from Vancouver to Ketchican and then on to Sitka the next day?

[I]"...First-time cruiser who is very, very excited....thanks to all of you!"[/I]

Copied from HAL board [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

For clairfication- look at your route map. Inside passage is sailed on ALL Alaska cruises- just some more than others, you can't get to Skagway or Juneau without sailing it. As for the Gulf of Alaska- again refer to a map- this is a wide open area and again depending on the route of the "day" it can be significant open ocean sailing. So your though on seasickness is wrong- it is a myth that Alaska sailings are "smooth as glass". 3 out of 10 of my Alaska cruises encountered rough sailing- one trip lasting 3 days. I have seen plenty of sick passengers on every trip. Take precautions if prone. With your arrival in Seward- my clear preference over Whittier- consider taking advantage of the EXCELLENT touring opportunities there- unfortunately most people just pass through

gonnago - We're on the same cruise. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Most of our cruise is in the inside passage. It is really only after Hubbard Glacier, the second to last day, that we set out across the Gulf to Seward.

HAL's Ryndam - Northbound Alaska - May 28, 2004

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;05;28;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Archived