Video Camera?

Diggerdon

I really wish I had brought one. It is actually my only regret from my trip. We saw quite a few at Pearl Harbor as well as many other places in Hawaii and on the cruise. Pearl Harbor does allow a video camera. You just cannot take a bag with it. I think the video camera would have been wonderful in many places to document just what we saw. Pictures and memories are wonderful, but a video of some of our adventures would have added that much more.

William

This thread reminded me that I should get myself familiar with the video mode on my new digital camera. While it is not the same as having a full fledged video camera, it can come in handy at times. Just make sure you have extra memory because the video eats up a lot of megabytes.

• Administrators
This thread reminded me that I should get myself familiar with the video mode on my new digital camera. While it is not the same as having a full fledged video camera, it can come in handy at times. Just make sure you have extra memory because the video eats up a lot of megabytes.

Yes, that's the trick -- we didn't lug our digital video camera with us. Our digital cameras (both Canon PowerShot A510) have a video mode -- with a 2gig memory chip in them we were able to take 1500 photos plus nearly 100 videos between the two cameras on our Hawaii trip last week. I've spent all of THIS week sorting, labelling, winnowing, etc. :) Here's a link to the "best of" our videos... http://youtube.com/profile?user=michellp1 I've spent most of today uploading still photos to communitywebshots.com (it takes forever, even though I've narrowed it down to 300 photos and have a high speed connection).

On Pearl Harbor, yes, you can video there, there's no limitation unless you needed to bring a camera bag (which you can't do) -- but oddly enough this post made me notice that neither of us took a video there, nor still shots of each other, as we did most places. It's not "that kind" of place. They remind you in the theater that you are going to what is effectively a cemetary, the burial site of more than 1000 young men with their whole lives ahead of them. I think both of us had a similar reaction while we were there... quiet, respectful... we took a few photos... but mostly we were deep in thought and recalling the sacrifices so many made that day.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with taking video at Pearl Harbor, at all! I was more thinking "out loud" about why we didn't take any when we took a bunch everywhere else; I wonder if anyone else had a similar thing happen.

Taking a video camera is a must. Just leave the case in the car. I took the video camera in with me and filmed the film they show before you head out to the memorial which I have watched several times at home since I got back. Great education for my kids on our history. My son (age 12) and his friend (age 14 today) watched in awe and discussed the film compared to what they learned in school. The video also allowed visible images of the oil that floats to the water surface from the Arizona ship. We must have seen at least 30 drops of oil come to the surface during the 15 minutes we were on the memorial and that is just from our view which we obviously couldn't see everything on both sides so there is a lot of oil floating to the surface all the time. Digital still camera doesn't quite do it like the video does. It is a must in my opinion.

Archived