Questions: Best Time to Go / Verandah Location

babybear

I have just started exploring a potential Alaska cruise in early September (last minute idea!) and I have to say this message thread has been so helpful for me. As is my plan with all cruises - I'm not much of an entertainment person - my favorite things to do in the evenings: (1) be in the outdoor jacuzzi and (2) sit on my verandah and stare at the sea / sights for hours. Kind of crazy, but I love it. So I have two questions for now: (1) for scenery, is one side of the ship preferable to the other when travelling Vancouver to Whittier or reverse, or doing Inside Passage cruise, and (2) is the end of the Alaska season (early September) still a good time to go to enjoy these things (as well as the excursions)? Also, any advice from solo travelers to the region? Could use a little boost of support. Getting a little nervous about going solo.

Thanks for your advice. (nycbabybear@yahoo.com)

Alaska will be great for you - scenery is beautiful and sitting for hours on your balcony will be wonderful. Choose the side of the ship depending on itinerary (i.e. starboard for northbound and port for southbound - side doesn't matter for inside passage if doing roundtrip from Vancouver. I don't know about roundtrip from Seattle, but I understand there is more outside travel/less scenery. IMHO only).

Hot tubs are great in cool weather!

Have a great trip.

Monarch 11/97

Elation 8/98

Mercury 8/00

Maasdam 7/02

Grand Princess 7/03

Island Princess 7/04

mid to late August is my favorite Alaska travel time (in season, otherwise the best of the best for me is winter icon_smile.gif ) I went the the first two weeks of Sept last trip- again great trip. But you have more weather variations past the first week that can be signifant. Be well prepared in attire to enjoy your balcony. It can get cold. Wildlife is definately best viewed from the front of the ship (you cut down your sighting options by over 50% with side viewing). For marine wildlife you definately are better off scanning ahead with a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Land animals are rarely viewable from the ship outside of glacier cruising day.

Archived