Do All The Beach Bars Make You Pay For Chairs Now?

Rowan555

Where exactly is this we will be going for the first time in January?

The Oxtankah is easy to find. When you leave the shuttle from the cruise terminal, it lets you off on the second "street" from the beach. Just go to the street next to the beach and start walking back toward the cruise terminal. It is about 100 yds ahead on the beach side. They always have people in the street with Oxtankah shirts on trying to get you to come in. Just look for them -- the shirts are white polo shirts. I guarantee that you won't be disappointed if you want a relaxing day on the beach with very attentive staff and beautiful beaches, especially the SAND!!! Enjoy!!!

I think there might be a littel confusion with which chairs are free and which might get charged for. Chairs (and tables) at the dining area, whether it be under a tent or in the open, on the beach or across the road, were not generally charged for when we were there in April. Depending on how busy the beach area is, there might be a charge for a lounge chair at the water's edge. We had 6 in our party so I got a couple of lounge charis at the water's edge for $10 and then we rotated in and out of the sun/shade under the tent where we were eating. We spent most of the day there at the Cat's Meow enjoying the food and drinks. We walked up and down the beach area and one person stayed at the table. We had no problems with holding the table and chairs and the lounge chairs.

Enjoy your day!

:confused: can you please tell me a little more about Cat's Meow.

how is the beach and the water at this location?

We do not want an area that has too much seaweed, if possible.

also, we would like a nice clean beach area.

:)

thanks,

mitch....

Loved your photos Suzski, but that sea looks mighty close to the bars!

Is there a problem with seaweed in Costa Maya? A few of you have mentioned it. If so does it tend to merge in specific areas or does it depends ont he time of year you are there.

Wieslaw, you sound like a Scotsman - "canny" with his money;)

Loved your photos Suzski, but that sea looks mighty close to the bars!

Is there a problem with seaweed in Costa Maya? A few of you have mentioned it. If so does it tend to merge in specific areas or does it depends ont he time of year you are there.

Wieslaw, you sound like a Scotsman - "canny" with his money;)

Hello SqueakyDust,

I agree, Suzski posted some very nice photos for our enjoyment.

The sea is close to the bars and some people requested and had their table moved right in the water - I have seen that ....

There was very little seaweed in our area at end of April.

Thank you for the compliment about being or 'sounding' like a Scotsman --there is a lot of 'us' ( on this board) being "canny" with the money...... just look at all the threads / posts about 'price drops', discounts, coupons, lower air price, whatever that saves money.

Perhaps it is a good thing ....... money should be used and spent but not wasted ( although I do that too sometimes).

Happy cruising,

Wes

Dumb questions but where is Oxtankah is it a town or beach - did you just take a taxi from town and ask to be dropped there??

Once you arrive in Costa Maya you are in a large shopping area for the cruisers. It is not in a town. The town is a few miles away. It is called Majahal.(spelling?) It is pronounced Ma-ha-wall. You go out the pier area and find the ticket window. Ask for a bus ticket to take you downtown. It is $3 per person. The bus will drop you off at the end of the town street. You walk a little ways down and you will go past Cat's Meow and others that will try to talk you into stopping. You keep going until you see Oxtankah Bar on the left. They have the massage area upstairs in an open air area above the bar. They were so professional and nice. The beach was so great. I hope this helps.

Archived