JUST GOT BACK FROM JULY 9th CRUISE!!!

Maureen4

Thanks for all of the great information so far!

Could you give me a more detailed description of the drift snorkel with Bruno? How is it hard - are you fighting the current, going too fast, having trouble avoiding coral, or what? My DH is planning on trying to take a movie during this and I would really like to know what to expect. Plus, we have our regular snorkeling fins, but we have just purchased some shorter and lighter ones (Shredders) that look like they may give better manuverablity.

Maureen - you mentioned that the shark thing with Teiva was "scary". How so? Did they keep their distance? Did you ever feel in danger at all. I know these are reef sharks and they shouldn't have any interest in people, but I'm still not so sure about this one - although it was MY idea to book it! The movie JAWS really freaked me out, and I still have some issues with that even though I love the water and snorkeling! :)

Princess-of-quite-alot: How do you like the monoi oil? Is it greasy? How is the scent? Is the best place to buy it at the market in Papeete?

Joyride: We just bought a nice snorkel set at Wal-Mart for $29.95. It has the short fins and it's made by US Divers. I tried mine out last week and they worked really well. They're much easier to use then the long fins.

I understand your feelings about the sharks. I'm an avid snorkeler and in the water a lot but I have a deep respect for sharks. Especially if someone is feeding them in my vicinity. In Florida, where I am, Black Tip Sharks are the most common to do a 'hit and run' on a human but the attack is rarely fatal. I know everything I have read states that feeding the sharks, in the islands, is very safe but I'm not so sure the sharks got that 'memo'.........

Thanks for all of the great information so far!

Could you give me a more detailed description of the drift snorkel with Bruno? How is it hard - are you fighting the current, going too fast, having trouble avoiding coral, or what? My DH is planning on trying to take a movie during this and I would really like to know what to expect. Plus, we have our regular snorkeling fins, but we have just purchased some shorter and lighter ones (Shredders) that look like they may give better manuverablity.

Maureen - you mentioned that the shark thing with Teiva was "scary". How so? Did they keep their distance? Did you ever feel in danger at all. I know these are reef sharks and they shouldn't have any interest in people, but I'm still not so sure about this one - although it was MY idea to book it! The movie JAWS really freaked me out, and I still have some issues with that even though I love the water and snorkeling! :)

First Brunos: The day we went Bruno said the current was not strong. It definately kept us moving and there are a lot of things to avoid bumping into. The coral is very sharp and there are tons of sea urchins. Unfornately my hand got to meet one and I got stung twice. Yes it hurt a ton but they are not poisonous. Taking a video would be very difficult. Also you should wear water shoes that day not fins, even if they are short. It's a great day and you will enjoy.

Sharks: I NEVER felt threatened by the sharks at all. They come right up to us and swim away. Why I said scary is because when a normal person is told if you see a shark fin go the other way, we jumped in. LOL It was very exciting and you'll have a great time!

Princess-of-quite-alot: How do you like the monoi oil? Is it greasy? How is the scent? Is the best place to buy it at the market in Papeete?
I don't think it's greasy at all. I'm not crazy about the scent, because it has Tamanu oil added. (Monoi Capillaire is the name of the bottle) I sprayed a little on after drying my hair, and it gave a nice sheen to it. I then sprayed a touch of perfume (bring small sample sizes of your fav from home) just to be sure. The locals say to apply an hour before shampooing. The Coconut Monoi oil (Monoi Tiare Tahiti - Coco) is terrific for massages, smells great (has Tahitian Gardenia in bottle), and not greasy at all. They sell it for around $3-$3.50 at La Marche. Other places sold it for $4-$6.50 or more.

Do not wear fins on the drift snorkel with Bruno. Not necessary at all. The current takes you. I did a video, but it is very difficult to keep the camera still, as the current moves you quickly. Just hold the camera out in front of you and try to steady it as best as possible. But be sure to watch ahead for "paths" around the coral. I took some great pictures of clown fish (Nemo) playing in and out of the anemones, just like in the movie!

thanks for all the great info...on the snorkle, did you wear gloves...did anyone wear gloves...

Did it seem like you could get all the exsursions at the dock?

No one was wearing gloves. But it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to.

All our excursions were planned way in advance. They fill up fast. There were some excursions offered only on a few islands but I would recommend booking what you like in advance. Either with Princess or privately. The private excursions are very good about getting back to you quickly and only Bruno

takes a $20 dep.

thanks for all the great info...on the snorkle, did you wear gloves...did anyone wear gloves...

If I had my time over again I would DEFINATELY wear gloves. We did the drift snorkel in Raitea with Princess - it was fantastic. However the lady that took us said that gloves were not necessary so we left ours on the boat. Big mistake. There were sea urchins everywhere and as Maureen mentioned, they hurt like hell if you touch one. They pop up everywhere and sometimes when drifting, you have no choice but to steady yourself by touching coral as you meander around the coral gardens. I got loads of coral cuts on my knees and hands - they still look a bit red and angry looking from 10 days ago. You also have to bear in mind that you form a line and snorkel single file. If the person in front of you decides to slow down for any reason or stop and take photos, a pile up tends to occur and you can't really avoid cuts and scrapes. We did the drift twice and the second time around, we put the photographers at the end of the line and kept our distance from the person in front.

We didn't snorkle with Bruno, but in the same spot with the princess drift snorkle.. one of our boat mates had gloves, and the woman advised her not to wear them, because you should not be touching the coral... so maybe people with gloves are more prone to touch? - hey it was Jane that had the gloves. I think everyone ended up with lots of little scrapes... I got away with only a few on my knee... but Jim got lots...

Also, we all wore our fins - the current was next to nil and the tide was low, so it was a swim through and the fins certainly helped. We wore our shoes to walk up and then the guides took them in their bags for us when we put our fins on.

At most of the docks there seemed to be vendors.

I had a different experience with Bruno's tour. We only had 12 people, so it was not crowded at all. I followed along, but stayed in the back, as I enjoyed taking pictures and underwater video. I must say it may be a bit tricky to maneuver if you are not used to snorkeling, but if you keep an eye ahead to watch for openings in the coral, it is not bad at all. We all wore water shoes, as fins were not necessary at all. If you had to stop, you could steady yourself on the hard "brain coral" which was smooth, or find a sandy spot to stop. I loved it, and would go again in a heartbeat. If you miss this tour, visit the Sheraton in Moorea and snorkel beneath the OWBs. You get your share of puffer fish, angel fish, needlenose, trigger fish, bright pink coral and numerous other fish, even the occasional shark and eel!

Archived