first timer has 2 questions

aj13

Just a couple of notes: Flying out of DC in December could present some weather problems. Although the port at Ft. Lauderdale is only a couple of miles away from the airport, you have to get to the airport first. I have done both, gone in the day before and departed the day of the ship departure and had problems in both circumstances in a couple of my 10 cruises. I was able to make the ship on the day of departure, but I was sweating my fat butt off. On the occasion that I flew in a day early, the airlines lost my luggage and if it had been the day of departure, I would have sailed without my luggage. I can't tell you the peace of mind you can buy for a $100 hotel room and flying in the day before!

Secondly, although passports are not required until January 2008, if you or your traveling partner have elderly folks or relatives in bad health (even though healthy people can become severly injured or killed in an auto accident), if you travel w/o a passport and an emergency at home develops that you need to leave your cruise early and FLY back into the US, you will have problems because passports ARE required now if you fly in/out of the US. I'm sure the consulate will help, but it still may delay your return, whereas a passport would take those worries away. I recently applied for my passport and was told it was taking at least 12 weeks now without using the expedited service. So, if you decide to get a passport, you need to do it now in order to get it back by December. Otherwise, it'll cost you an additional $60 on top of the $97 fee. Something to think about!!!!

Hi,

If I were you I'd get the passport. You'll need one at some time in the future. Beat the crazy rush.

I agree with you. If you think there's time, get it.

Archived