Downtown Long Beach Holiday Inn

Hello...

I'm very familiar with Long Beach. Much of the area has been redone and is lovely...near Pine Street and down by the waterfront. This part of Atlantic Avenue is not a great area and I'd never walk outside at night there....and I'm not an overly cautious person. If it's free and you just go to the hotel and stay and/or take a taxi anywhere you want to go it would probably work for a night.

I do know that you can get some very decent rates at the Coast Long Beach Hotel, across from the Queen Mary with great views. Actually, the Queen Mary's rooms are very "worn", but I've heard that the prices are very low right now. Either one of these places might be nice for your girls. Those are the two lowest priced, decently located Long Beach hotels that I know of.

Have fun and be safe!

murphysmum;)

Cuiser...

I'm so glad to see that you've posted your wonderful map for her. I don't have the technical skills to transfer it and I was just going on line to suggest that she look at another thread where you'd posted it! What a great visual!

Mom...

I think you'll be very pleased that you made the change and as you can see, you'll be in a lovely area.

Happy sailing...

murphysmum;)

We were able to get the Hyatt Regency Long Beach on Priceline for $58. I will be using a gift certificate that I earned on mypoints.com to pay for the parking. So it is possible to be "cheap" and "safe" as the same time. We may do the same again for our April cruise, even though it sails from San Pedro...

We were able to get the Hyatt Regency Long Beach on Priceline for $58. I will be using a gift certificate that I earned on mypoints.com to pay for the parking. So it is possible to be "cheap" and "safe" as the same time. We may do the same again for our April cruise, even though it sails from San Pedro...

And what about your June 2009 cruise? Are you getting rooms for all of us?

IMGP0156.jpg

Thanks for posting that again - I always love your pics and this one that I have saved for my scrapbook...

I thought YOU were hosting all of US for the June 2009??!! What's up? Are we scaring you?

Bob said he wold do it.

I know he is reading the roll call thread. You think he is taking a peek at this one?

Probably not... so I think I will head over to ours and tell everyone that YOU said that Bob is hosting us all pre-cruise. :p

Didn't somebody already do that? With over 1000 posts it is hard to keep track of who is saying what.

Didn't somebody already do that? With over 1000 posts it is hard to keep track of who is saying what.

Yes - we are an active little bunch, aren't we? One of my other roll calls has about 20 posts.

So - to get back on topic... the Hyatt Regency IS a good choice, right? Isn't it right near all of the shops & restaurants? The last time we stayed in Long Beach I didn't pick the hotel very well... it worked, but I stayed inside at night. :eek:

Yes....You and Gusanddigetsmom have both made excellent hotel choices and I think you'll be quite happy with your location...especially if you were in a bad location last time.

Just FYI....For very casual food and fun atmosphere, there's a Bubba Gump's directly across the street from the Aquarium and a huge selection of all priced restaurants, shops, movies, etc. on Pine Street...in the downtown area chose to your location.

Enjoy!

murphysmum;)

Thanks!! I have read only good things about the Hyatt... so we are looking forward to it.

We have a Bubba Gumps about 1/2 hour from us... love it. Are there any other notable restaurants that are not too pricey, nearby?

I think that someone from Long Beach could answer this better than I can. When I go to Pine St. I usually eat at L'Opera or The Madison...both lovely, but a bit pricey. Alegria is less expensive and serves great Spanish food and tapas....You could make a meal of tapas.

I know that there are a lot of less expensive restaurants on Pine; the only one coming to mind right now is Islands.

If you happen to have a car, Second St. is not far and they have a multitude of great, reasonably priced restaurants. Panama Joe's-good Mexican food. Lucille's-great Southern food. Bono's-Italian/fusion. It's probably better to Google Second St. and restaurants as there are really too many to list. It's also a nice, safe place to walk and people watch.

Have fun...

murphysmum;)

Suziehmkr, I was not implying that you could not get something cheaper and be safe. If you will notice my post I said I had priority points and would get the HI rm free that is what I meant by cheap--for me-no one else

No worries - I didn't think you were saying that at all.... I was just adding another option to the mix. It's all good. Believe me, we have gone the cheap but not safe route more than we like - by not knowing. So more information is good information.

Have a GREAT cruise. :)

Archived