Punta Arenas tour alternatives

annski

Came across this company after seeing recommendations on trip advisor. Their range of various tours is the largest I have seen prices are in proportion to the number on the tour. Tour groups are no more than 10:)

http://www.turismopaliaike.com the range of tours is very broad:)

The only problem I see with this company: IMHO, the two best things in Punta Arenas- the penguin tours- leave in the afternoon. Probably won't work with a normal cruise ship docking times. The cruise ships book the morning tours, especially the Magadalena Island tour. That tour is absolutely SPECTACULAR. But the tour offered by this company leaves at 3:00PM.

annski, the Magdalena Island tour is the one you want in Punta Arenas. However, it shuts down about mid march. Hopefully you are there before that.:) :D :) :D

Hi.....I am new to this particular thread; however, have been following with a great deal of interest. We will be in P.A. with the Star Princess on March 1, 2008. This tour has caught our eye and will probably go with it through the cruise line.....the description they give is a bus ride; a boat ride (could be choppy) but little to no walking involved. Does this describe accurately?

Helen

Hi.....I am new to this particular thread; however, have been following with a great deal of interest. We will be in P.A. with the Star Princess on March 1, 2008. This tour has caught our eye and will probably go with it through the cruise line.....the description they give is a bus ride; a boat ride (could be choppy) but little to no walking involved. Does this describe accurately?

Helen

Helen, sure sounds like it but it should mention magdalena island in the description somewhere.:) :D :) :D

:cool:Yes, it sure does....our main inquiry is the walking.....the tour to Otway Bay involves a lot of walking which we do not want to do, and besides, this one appeals to us more.....I know there will be walking around the Island and more than likely to the Lighthouse but I am assuming this is casual walking.:eek:

Helen

:cool:Yes, it sure does....our main inquiry is the walking.....the tour to Otway Bay involves a lot of walking which we do not want to do, and besides, this one appeals to us more.....I know there will be walking around the Island and more than likely to the Lighthouse but I am assuming this is casual walking.:eek:

Helen

Easy, gentle walking to the top of the hill where the lighthouse is. You do have to watch your step as the penguins have the right of way and they burrow any place they please.

Absolutely fantastic trip. And yes, it can get very choppy. Please find out if this is the trip where you have to stay on the bus onboard the ferry. One cruiseline does that and one has a regular small boat, with seats, entertainment and snacks for sale. The regular small boat has a great balcony aft to stand and watch the scenery. Cold and windy but well worth it.

Hmmmm....the Princess description does not say...would this be a humongous difference?????:confused:

Helen (by the way we are from COLORADO) go BRONCOS!!!!!!

Hmmmm....the Princess description does not say...would this be a humongous difference?????:confused:

Helen (by the way we are from COLORADO) go BRONCOS!!!!!!

Some people that got stuck on the bus type tour REALLY complained. It was a bus driving on a ferry (their description). They were confined to the bus for the entire boat trip. I have NO idea why the cruise line would book such a trip-the bus would have NO place to go once you reach the island-there are NO roads.

Since I have been to Magdalena Island twice, I can't imagine being stuck on a bus and not being able to move around and look at the scenery as you cross the channel.

Better call the shore excursion dept and make sure.

annski & foxyh: We took the St Magdalena Island excursion in December 2003 while on a HAL cruise---it was great!

We boarded a bus at the cruise pier, rode all of 5 minutes to a ferry, where the bus drove across a ramp and on to the ferry along with about 3 or 4 other busses. The ferry ride to the island was about an hour or so, maybe a bit less, maybe more, but we were permitted to get off the bus and wander around the ferry.

Even though we were outside the bus, there is very limited interior space on the ferry to get out of the breeze, or rather, the wind. Some folks either remained on the bus or returned to it. We stayed outside (we were prepared with sweatshirt/windbreaker combo, hat, gloves and earmuffs) and we had great time enjoying the fresh air!

I will be glad to share photos of the excursion, the ferry, busses, the island, penguins--just email me at: buffnbou at cox dot net. Please indicate you are a CCer in the subject line.

foxyh: we lived in Denver during the early Elway era--we have an Elway "shrine" in our family room-those were the days. We still follow the Broncos!

annski & foxyh: We took the St Magdalena Island excursion in December 2003 while on a HAL cruise---it was great!

We boarded a bus at the cruise pier, rode all of 5 minutes to a ferry, where the bus drove across a ramp and on to the ferry along with about 3 or 4 other busses. The ferry ride to the island was about an hour or so, maybe a bit less, maybe more, but we were permitted to get off the bus and wander around the ferry.

Even though we were outside the bus, there is very limited interior space on the ferry to get out of the breeze, or rather, the wind. Some folks either remained on the bus or returned to it. We stayed outside (we were prepared with sweatshirt/windbreaker combo, hat, gloves and earmuffs) and we had great time enjoying the fresh air!

I will be glad to share photos of the excursion, the ferry, busses, the island, penguins--just email me at: buffnbou at cox dot net. Please indicate you are a CCer in the subject line.

foxyh: we lived in Denver during the early Elway era--we have an Elway "shrine" in our family room-those were the days. We still follow the Broncos!

:DI WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE PICTURES...John came to Grand Junction early in his career and my son still has a large autographed poster of him.

Several years in a row we took him to Greeley to the training camps....

John could run for governor of the state and be elected hands down...he is still revered in Colorado; the unfortunate thing is every QB we have had since him doesn't stand a chance and is constantly being compared to John.

Hopefully this new one can step out of Johns shadow and make a mark for himself. BRONCOS training camp starts today......

send the pictures to me at: foxyh3137@aol.com

Many thanks (your input was very helpful to us!!!)

Archived