Princess cay snorkeling

kennden

I cruised February 2007 and snorkeled in both places. Trunk Bay at St. John is definitely a spectacular place and I would choose to snorkel there if I could only choose one. However, the snorkeling in Princess Cay is quite good and I would be sad if I missed that one as well. Both are "walk in" from the beach snorkeling. Princess Cay tends to have less current to deal with and is a shorter and easier swim to the snorkeling area. St. John has a cross current and it was quite a swim back. But if I had to choose only one place, I would choose St. John

I cruised February 2007 and snorkeled in both places. Trunk Bay at St. John is definitely a spectacular place and I would choose to snorkel there if I could only choose one. However, the snorkeling in Princess Cay is quite good and I would be sad if I missed that one as well. Both are "walk in" from the beach snorkeling. Princess Cay tends to have less current to deal with and is a shorter and easier swim to the snorkeling area. St. John has a cross current and it was quite a swim back. But if I had to choose only one place, I would choose St. John

Thanks so much for your reply. We are going to be with several family members on Princess Cay, in fact we have reserved a bungalow for the six of us, don't know what other family members have planned for St John, soo I guess we will snorkel in Princess Cay, just didn't wanted to be sure that the snorkeling was ok there. Thanks again

.... the snorkeling in Princess Cay is quite good ...

Hi roysue:

I posted this question on the Private Island board and so far no luck, so perhaps you can help me. We did not have any luck last time we were on Princess Cay snorkeling ... can you describe to me where the best snorkeling spot is? Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

The snorkeling in Princess Cay can be variable. The reefs are pretty much killed from all of the foot traffic they receive. And the volumes of people getting off the ship can make the snorkeling less than ideal.

However, there are plenty of fish, and they are fed from the dock. So knowing that, you bring fish food in the water with you, you will see tons of fish.

What I do is try and get on the first tender off the boat. I immediately make a left turn and head north up to the end by the dock. And do my snorkel during the first hour. By the time the crowds start showing up, I am done and out of the water.

The snorkeling in Princess Cay can be variable. The reefs are pretty much killed from all of the foot traffic they receive. And the volumes of people getting off the ship can make the snorkeling less than ideal.

Well, that sounds realistic ( I was bummed at RCI's island too, watching people smash the reef to bits outside of the swimming cove).

But I do thank you for the info and directions.

Archived