Skagway

Outhouse

Let me first say that my wife and I are about to take our FIRST cruise together in what is now our 30th anniversary year. Anyway, we are going on an inside passage cruise on the Diamond Princess leaving Seattle on 09/04. We are in Skagway from about 5 AM until about 8Pm. Anyway, I want to see the White Pass and would love to take the Eagle Preserve Scenic Float Adventure which is in the Haine area. The problem is the Haines trip takes about 6.5 hours. Would seeing the White Pass via a bus be OK? Via bus, the trip is only about 1.5 hours. ADVICE IS BOTH NEEDED AND APPRECIATED!

Seeing the White Pass by bus is pretty tame compared to the train, but it depends on what your interests are. The scenery is similar but very different, and the history and engineering feats you see along the train route make it a world-class attraction to railfans in particular. Some people think that the Eagle Preserve trip allows you to see eagles and wildlife everywhere, and that's not the case (unless you come in November!) - it's a float through a very scenic valley. Since you have 15 hours in Skagway, though, you should be able to fit both the float and train trips in.

Murray

Archived