Half Moon Cay

mntravler

Hi, I have two questions. Are the cabanas worth the rental cost? We're thinking of renting one. Second, are there special documents to be filled out when entering the Bahamas? I read on another board that they had to fill out additional paperwork to enter Half Moon Cay.

Thanks!!

Hi, I have two questions. Are the cabanas worth the rental cost? We're thinking of renting one.
That is really a subjective question. I thought it was definitely worth it to get a Cabana. It really made the day special for our family. Not everyone will agree that the benefit is worth the price.

Second, are there special documents to be filled out when entering the Bahamas? I read on another board that they had to fill out additional paperwork to enter Half Moon Cay.

There might have been a small form to fill out. It couldn't have been a big deal or I would have remembered it. If there is such a form, it will be included with your cruise documents.

For some reason HAL does not require immigration forms when visiting its private island.

However, Princess had us fill out a form when we visited Princess Cays. Go figure.:confused: :confused:

Do you get the pick the cabana you want (like the one furthest down the beach) or is it first come first served?

You do get to pick...but they go fast. If you are on HAL, you can reserve on in advance. If you are on Carnival, you have to wait until you are on the ship to reserve the cabana (and I don't think Carnival offers the butler service).

We booked our cabana online in mid-May for our Feb. cruise. I just happened to see a post that said the cabana rentals were opening that day and the dates included the week of our cruise.

If you're on Carnival and want a cabana...I'd hoof it to the excursion desk first thing (when it opens).

I also believe I've read where people are waitlisted for a cabana on HAL. If they are all booked, you could get on this list. I don't know how Carnival handles this issue. :)

I wonder why Carnival doesn't book in advance? That's bizzare.

Are the two cruiselines ever there at the same time? Maybe HAL gets preference?

I think it is odd that Carnival doesn't offer the cabanas online. And I don't know why they wouldn't offer the butler package.

From what I have read, Carnival and HAL don't visit on the same day, at least I've not seen where it does. There are days when more than one HAL ship (I've seen where there are up to three-which would be A LOT of people) is there, so I don't know how they divide up the cabanas. They must somehow link the cabanas to both ships and then once they are rented, they are gone.

I think it would be a lot less hassle for Carnival to put the cabanas online. Once they're gone...they're gone. Rather than dealing with people trying to get one while on the ship. It would be neat and tidy to rent them out prior to the cruise, and then if something comes up and someone backs out...those are the waiting list would get first crack at them.

I agree! But I am sure there is some reason, because this is the first excursion I've seen on Carnival where you can't buy it before you get on the ship.

Yep, there has to be a reason...who knows what it is though. :)

Well, the very first thing when you get on the ship...find out when the excursion desk opens...and get there pronto so you can snag a cabana. Good luck! :)

• 3 months later...

I don't know the reason why Carnival makes you book when you get on the ship, but I think maybe the fact that there are only about 15 cabanas total, it would be more fair to those who want one to get in line early and get one, rather than 200 requests on line. Also, how fair is it for those who don't have a computer? I like it better the way Carnival does it.

I don't know the reason why Carnival makes you book when you get on the ship, but I think maybe the fact that there are only about 15 cabanas total, it would be more fair to those who want one to get in line early and get one, rather than 200 requests on line. Also, how fair is it for those who don't have a computer? I like it better the way Carnival does it.

You don't have to book it online with HAL. I called their excursion number and booked mine. So this is fair since all you have to do is take the time to call and get the information. Actually, I think this is even more fair than opening it up on the ship. When we get on the ship, we tend to be off doing things, and I'd probably forget.

Archived