going solo

earl_m

I suggest you visit the solo cruiser boards here at CC. Lot's of good info there.

As far as prices are concerned, it all varies from time of year to cruise lines to cabin category.

But, in general and booking a bit in advance, expect about 150% for inside/oceanview and 200% for balcony and up. In other words, if the going rate for inside/oceanview is $500 per person, you'll be booking at $750; if balcony is $700, you'll pay $1,400.

(The cynic in me sees that 150% as a 25% discount as opposed to paying full price for myself and my friend/girlfriend/etc.)

That said, it's sometimes cheaper to pay a 200% solo on one line than paying 150% on another comparable one.

Try to get a guaranteed cabin if at all possible. Usually it is the cheapest rate per category. Plus try to do your own air if possible that can save some big bucks as weeel. And remember just cause you are in a cheaper cabin doesn't mean you get jipped on the service. I've been traveling by myself for a while and I found no difference in service. Plus you do get a bigger bed. :D

You may also want to check RC's hot deals. I am going on Explorer with a friend in September and we each booked our own Promenade cabin that was a hot deal. Booking it when it was a hot deal was very economical, relatively speaking.

Angela

Archived