Dec 04 2007 Transatlantic Cruise Concern

We are booked on the Splenour of the Seas for a transatlantic cruise from Lisbon Portugal to Sao Paulo Brazil. As a relatively new cruiser, I like to spend a lot of time researching where we are going and what there is to see. I have been monitoring the excursions in Brazil was disappointed in the number of excursions offered in the Brazilian ports(3 in Recife,2 in Salvador). I am especially concerned that there are no (and according to RCCI, will not be) excursions offered in Sao Paulo. We arrive early morning and our flight does not leave until 10 p.m. (book by RCCI). Does anyone else share this concern. BTW, apply for your Brazilian visas, RCCI will not have a blanket visa for the Brazilian ports or transfer to the airport (like they did for Russia).

Thank you in advance for any responses.

We are booked on the Splenour of the Seas for a transatlantic cruise from Lisbon Portugal to Sao Paulo Brazil. As a relatively new cruiser, I like to spend a lot of time researching where we are going and what there is to see. I have been monitoring the excursions in Brazil was disappointed in the number of excursions offered in the Brazilian ports(3 in Recife,2 in Salvador). I am especially concerned that there are no (and according to RCCI, will not be) excursions offered in Sao Paulo. We arrive early morning and our flight does not leave until 10 p.m. (book by RCCI). Does anyone else share this concern. BTW, apply for your Brazilian visas, RCCI will not have a blanket visa for the Brazilian ports or transfer to the airport (like they did for Russia).

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Hi there Sailingmickey. We are also on this cruise - come and join our roll call on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360827

We don't have the same problem as you do, as we are staying in Santos overnight after the cruise, so we will not be going to São Paulo. There are a number of companies that offer transfers and excursions, indeed RCL may well announce one before December. The company that cruiselines use for shore excursions in South America is called www.turismonuevomundo.cl You could have a look at their web site and contact their US office.

We too were very disappointed, but not surprised, by the lack of decent excursions in Recife and Salvador. The reason is that only one ship calls at these locations twice a year (on the transatlantic), so it is not worthwhile for them to put a large selection in place. We have been to both places and in MHO the excursions they are offering are not the best there is to see in these places.

In Recife, the city itself, and Olinda in my opinion, are old, poor and run down. Yes, there are old churches and buildings but not really much worth seeing and certainly not what one would want to visit these places for. The best, in my opinion, is the fabulous beaches and warm sea water with natural swimming pools created by the reefs (recife in Portuguese) off the coast. We are in the process of investigating private tour operators in both Porto de Galinhas and Maragogi who would do an excursion to these places. There are also hotels and restaurants in these places that organise transport, together with boat trips to the reefs, buggy trips on the beach and lunch.

In Salvador, the historic centre is worth seeig for an hour or two, if you can stand being constantly bothered by street sellers and ladies dressed in historic costumes wanting money for taking a photograph. The best beaches here are also some distance away on the north coast. Praia do Forte is worth a visit. As our friends with us do not know Salvador, we will do the historical centre on our own, have a fabulour lunch at the meat grill restaurant, Boi Preto and spend the rest of the afternoon in the modern shopping centre stocking up on Christmas presents.

Please let us know how you get on with your research. We will post any information on the roll call.

Thank you for your suggestion and information. I just sent an online request for information from the tour group you suggested. I also have found two other tour groups that are in Sao Paulo in either Fodor's or Frommer's tour books. They are GolTours goltour@goltour.com.br and Easygoing Brazil http://www.easygoing.com.br. I am not surprised at the reason for the lack of excursions as I had a very difficult time locating tours via the internet. Fortunately, the library had the most current tour books. Between your suggestion and the other one we found we may find a tour group we are comfortable touring with. Thank you again.

There are plenty of tours out there, it is just a question of finding them.

The cheapest method is finding a good, honest, well-meaning taxi driver with a reliable car. We could find one of those by luck at the port, they do exist, we have experience of them. However, I prefer to have something organised in advance, because time is all important when you only have one day available and we don't want to get stuck in a grimy port area or taken by a ramshackled taxi that will break down on the way back to the port.

The sites you quoted seem strong possibilities for being able to arrange something tailor-made for you at Santos. You could either do a tour of the beaches of Santos and Guarujá, or one of the city tours of São Paulo. Take in a good lunch in São Paulo, the Little Italy area has some devine restaurants.

Archived