POH best restaurant

jjones

My family of four was on the POH July23 -30. We enjoyed all of our meals!

On the first night we ate at Papa's. DD2 liked her chicken parm, but did not care for the tomato sauce on the pasta. I thought it was too bitter/strong... maybe a bit of roasted pepper? Personal tastes I guess. I don't remember what the rest of us had, but I do know that we were happy with our choices.

DH and I ate at Le Bistro (anniversary pkg) on formal night. We both had escargot and then filet mignon. Very good! DDs ate at Grand Pacific and had (I believe) prime rib. They said it was also very good.

The four of us had dinner at Cagney's on the last night. Again we had filet mignon that was enjoyed by all. For sides we had fries, baked potato, scalloped potatoes, asparagus and creamed spinach. I did not like the spinach but the other sides were fine. Good cheesecake and chocolate dessert.

We ate 3 other meals at Grand Pacific (main dining room.) We arrived fairly early - 6:00 - 6:30, and never had to wait for a table for four. Our server Luis was wonderful. After the first time we had him we requested to sit in his area every other night. He was very informative and helpful with suggestions. All of our meals here were very good. DD2 especially liked the teriyaki chicken and I thought the pecan crusted grouper on gumbo was wonderful!

We had breakfast (and lunch when we ate it) in the buffet every day. There was always plenty to choose from. Do a quick 'walk through' to get the 'lay of the land' and you won't have any problems with long lines. Also, get a table before you get your food. One of us would sit at the table while the rest got their meal.

Enjoy!

We were a family of 2, on the 7/16-7/23 cruise. We dined in the Italian Restaurant (Papa's) twice and loved it. Good food (lasagna, angel hair pasta and meatballs, chicken parmesan ... all fabulous). No cover charge.. made reservations both times, though if you are an early eater and can get there at 5:30 PM you probably won't need reservations. Great service... Fabulous tierra misu (sp?) for dessert.

We also LOVED Cagney's. The $40 cover charge (for the 2 of us)

was definitely worth it for our one "splurge". I had the filet mignon

and hubby had prime rib. Both fantastic...melt in your mouth, and flavorful.

We ate in the Grand Pacific for breakfast and lunch and it was great.

In our opinion, way too crowded for dinner at 6 or 7 or even 8 PM and

no tables for two.

Have a wonderful time. You will love Hawaii!

Keep in mind that food preferences are extremely personal and that food prep can vary, so this is JMO and our experience.

Cagney's was very good all three times (crab cakes! bananas foster! chocolate obsession!). Completely agree about skipping the spinach (yuck) and did not care for the scalloped potatoes (undercooked and bland). Other sides were very tasty and well prepared, except that I simply did not care for the lobster bisque (personal preference). Our lobster on the last night was horrid! We sent it back (not something we do just on a whim) and they took the charge off. It was overcooked in some parts and undercooked in others, and had been hurried through the steaming process (you know that white "goo" that oozes out when seafood has been cooked too hot and/or too long?) and it tasted off. If you're going to do the lobster at Cagney's don't wait until the last night. They were extremely rushed and everyone had to wait forever for their food. One couple who was seated at the same time we were didn't get their entrees for well over an hour; we waited almost that long and were about ready to say forget it. OTOH, the first night, the service was perfect and the food was excellent.

Jasmine (Asian fusion with Hawaiian flare--it is not "Chinese") was excellent. Pepper beef made with filet mignon--tender and flavorful, kung pao with mac nuts and Thai chili sauce instead of peanuts and traditional kung pao sauce, crab wontons, and more.

Papa's not so great. Pesto pasta drowning in oily and not terribly flavorful sauce and tough chicken parm with bitter/overcooked sauce; no antipasti cart; okay salad. Paniolo's also only marginally fair with mostly bland food, some odd ingredients, packaged (store-bought type) tortilla chips, and bottled salsa (blech!). (Caveat: We live on CA's central coast and are rather particular about our Mexican/Spanish/Tex-Mex food.) I've heard that there's a new chef for Paniolo's, so this may have improved.

Didn't eat at Teppanyaki, Shabu-Shabu, the sushi bar at Jasmine, or the regular dining rooms. Blue Lagoon diner was marginal for meals, but has a killer warm brownie ice cream thing--lovely pick-me-up any time.

beachchick

Archived