Cape Liberty to JFK

bozza

Can someone tell me if there are taxis waiting outside when you disembark tht will take us to JFK and approx how much it will cost?

We are staying in New York Pre cruise and are booking a car to Cape Liberty, but don't really want to book one to pick us up as we won't be sure what time we will be off the ship.

Any help at all appreciated, thanks.

Can someone tell me if there are taxis waiting outside when you disembark tht will take us to JFK and approx how much it will cost?

We are staying in New York Pre cruise and are booking a car to Cape Liberty, but don't really want to book one to pick us up as we won't be sure what time we will be off the ship.

Any help at all appreciated, thanks.

You should arrange with a car service to get you back to JFK. Make arrangements to call them on your cell when you are ready to leave the ship.

There will be taxis waiting. HOWEVER, NJ taxis DO NOT have to take you to JFK. Most will, but they will charge you double the fare + double the tolls, as NJ taxis are NOT allowed to pick up fares in the boroughs of NY. They must return to NJ with no revenue.

A car service will be far superior and usually cheaper.

There are lots of taxis and even big van taxis at the port when you debark, wished I had waited on the return too. I pre-booked a van to take us from the Edison Hotel (Times Square) to Cape Liberty and they charged me $98 for the 11 miles. I also had them booked to take me from the pier to JFK at the end of the cruise. They were late on the day of the cruise, so we arrived an hour late to the pier and it was a madhouse. Then on debarkation day, the driver said he was there, but didn't know how to find us, no phones or services at Cape Liberty, so borrowed a ladies cell phone and called the company to find out where the driver was, finally met up, but again almost an hour late. Then the charge was $110 to go from NJ to JFK. So that was over $200 for transportation alone. Not sure what the cabfare would have been, but I can't see how it could be more costly than that. Think I'd just chance the taxi queue if I were going again.

There are lots of taxis and even big van taxis at the port when you debark, wished I had waited on the return too. I pre-booked a van to take us from the Edison Hotel (Times Square) to Cape Liberty and they charged me $98 for the 11 miles. I also had them booked to take me from the pier to JFK at the end of the cruise. They were late on the day of the cruise, so we arrived an hour late to the pier and it was a madhouse. Then on debarkation day, the driver said he was there, but didn't know how to find us, no phones or services at Cape Liberty, so borrowed a ladies cell phone and called the company to find out where the driver was, finally met up, but again almost an hour late. Then the charge was $110 to go from NJ to JFK. So that was over $200 for transportation alone. Not sure what the cabfare would have been, but I can't see how it could be more costly than that. Think I'd just chance the taxi queue if I were going again.

Taxi will run you as much, if not more. You also booked a van, which is more than a "Yellow Cab"/Car service type vehicle.

The standard taxi rate from Bayonne to JFK-$122. And you will have to find a taxi that is willing to go to JFK. As I posted previously, they don't HAVE to take you to NYC. And on cruise day, the majority of pax are most likely going to the Newark Airport or a close hotel. $35.00 + tip to the airport, multiple trips in 2 hours, or one trip to JFK and return. The taxi driver make A LOT more money taking people from the ship to the airport, so it may be hard to find a taxi to JFK.

Here's is a website with the local taxi fares from/to Bayonne and Newark Airport.. NJ taxis ARE NOT cheap.

http://www.secaucustaxi.com/taxicabrates/index.htm

and to add to what Great Am says a NY Taxi also doesn't have to take you to the Bayonne Cruise terminal and if they do they charge whatever you agree to or not take you. NY Taxis do have to take you to Newark Airport and that runs about $70.00 yes I know it further. The yellow cab fare to EWR is meter plus $15.00 plus roundtrip tolls and tip.....

Thanks for your replies, I think we will book a car service both ways and dam the expense!!!! We are only here once after all!!

Anyone recommend a clean, reliable car service?

Thanks for your replies, I think we will book a car service both ways and dam the expense!!!! We are only here once after all!!

Anyone recommend a clean, reliable car service?

I have personally used a bunch of car services from NJ to NYC. What service are you using to get TO the ship? I would check with them first-if they are reliable and come with recommendations, maybe use them for the return trip.

Otherwise, Dial7, Carmel, PHL, NYCLimo (yes that's the name of the company)-all about the same, although there are posts on this board about Carmel becoming unreliable. All of the above mentioned companies have websites and email addresses.

You SHOULD save money with a car service over a taxi. Any way you look at it, the RT will probably cost about $200.00.

now you know why the universal suggestion is if you are leaving from Port Liberty in Bayonne you use EWR as you airport. Its closer and less expensive to and from the Port and it will cost you the same from JFK to Manhattan as it does from Jfk to Manhattan...or pretty close. Sometimes you have no choice but if you do and the difference is less than $100.oo stick with EWR...

Thanks again, we haven't booked a car service from our hotel yet, the concierge at our hotel says he can book us one for $125 to the port, but didn't say which car service.

We will send off for a few quotes and then choose.

As for the airport, we had no choice as to where to fly into, so JFK it was.

Thanks again, we haven't booked a car service from our hotel yet, the concierge at our hotel says he can book us one for $125 to the port, but didn't say which car service.

We will send off for a few quotes and then choose.

As for the airport, we had no choice as to where to fly into, so JFK it was.

I used one called New York City Transportation, but now when I do a search, I can't find it. If you search on the web, you'll find one cheaper than $125. I paid $98 from Time Square to Cape Liberty, then $110 from Cape Liberty to JFK (including tax, tip and tolls) in a VAN. And if you only need a car, rather than a van, it might even be cheaper yet. My friend and I each have a huge 29" suitcase, a 22" suitcase and our carry-ons, and I knew we wouldn't fit all that luggage into a car. I'm sure I remember some folks on this board stating they were getting cars for like $65 one way. Good luck and have a great trip!

Archived