Renting Scooter in Bermuda?

We will be sailing to Bermuda in Sept. on the Empress with another couple and are considering renting scooters to go from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

I have read many pro's and con's about doing this and wondered if anyone could share their experiences with me. We are considering renting one scooter for both of us to ride on. I have trouble walking on dry land without tripping so I KNOW I do not need to be trying to drive a scooter on unfamiliar roads on the opposite side. But DH and our friend are considering it.

I don't know if we should . . .

We will be sailing to Bermuda in Sept. on the Empress with another couple and are considering renting scooters to go from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

I have read many pro's and con's about doing this and wondered if anyone could share their experiences with me. We are considering renting one scooter for both of us to ride on. I have trouble walking on dry land without tripping so I KNOW I do not need to be trying to drive a scooter on unfamiliar roads on the opposite side. But DH and our friend are considering it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=55860

You might want to read these stories.

We rented a scooter in Bermuda a few years back....it was the first time for me , but my husband had done it before. I tried it out on the road a little bit before we left and did ok. At first i was a little hesitant but i went slow and took my time...if we were confused about a location there were plenty of places to pull over and check the map. As time went on I really enjoyed the experience and freedom. We did the whole island in one day. Now as far as doubling up on one, i really don't know. As i said we did our own. I'm a clutz also but had no problems. As long as you are careful , alert and not deathly afraid that it effects your driving , you'll love it.l

I read all the same things about renting scooters in Nassau and everyone saying not to do it. I have not been to Bermuda but I think the same may hold true, however, let me throw in this twist. Do your husband and friend ride a motorcycle at home? If yes, then go for it. If not, then I might suggest staying away from it. I ride one everyday so we rented a scooter in Nassau and had no problems at all. However, the majority of rented scooters we saw (including the one we had) had been in accidents and were banged up. The streets and traffic in Nassau can be intimidating at times and if Bermuda is anything like that, I would stay away from the scooters unless you have experience. Just my two cents, but then there are those that have no experience, rent a scooter, and have a great time with no problems.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Rural11, you bring up something I hadn't thought about. DH has a CDL liscense to drive tracker trailers and a motorcycle liscence though he hasn't done either in many years so that is a plus.

Our friend is a firefighter (retired) and was a driver before he became chief so they both have good driving skills.

I have heard so many horror stories and I'm sure they've been a combination of operator error and others on the road.

Since I am confident in their driving abilities I think my girlfriend and I may give the thumbs up, strap on our helmets and hold on tight. I hate to be a chicken and miss out on something fun :o

Friends of ours went to Bermuda for their daughters wedding.

The bride and groom decided to rent a scooter in Bermuda and were forced off of the road by another driver. Her leg was shattered and she had to be airlifted off the Island and then home to be treated.

The way the groom tells it the other driver came right at them and others have told me that they had the same type experience with other drivers.

We always used to rent scooters in Bermuda. It was a lot earier to nagivate the roads 10-20 years ago. Lately, I have seen many people on the cruise ships coming back with casts on their arms or legs from accidents. The roads are narrow and the locals will try to intimidate you by passing you and it is very easy to run into the rocks. A lot of the roads in Bermuda have rock walls on the left. I would be careful but if you feel comfortable do it.

Ann

We always rent scooters in Bermuda, the first time we got a double and when DH let me drive I made a left hand turn and ended up on the right side of the road (they drive on the left there) in front of a truck, we were going slow and able to get off with no problems. After that I 'practiced' more on a back road till I got the hang of it, since then I get my own and love the freedom.

As for comparing to a motorcycle, my brother-in-law who was the only one in our group who has driven motorcycles had a difficult time controlling his scooter, there were 11 of us traveling together on about 7 scooters, we had to stop at the police station to report something and when he pulled into the parking lot he ended up between 2 parked police cars ping ponging back and forth. Luckily the cops had a sense of humor and just laughed it off. The very next night we all went to a pub to meet some friends, DH and I were last in line when we pulled in there was a whole row of scooters lying on their sides, turns out B-I-L had knocked into them when he pulled in, again, luckily the locals who owned them just laughed it off.

On the way back to the ship my sister made him turn in his scooter and ride with her the rest of the trip. We all had a good laugh at his expense and even had one of the CD staff present him with some 'gifts' at dinner all with the theme, I survived riding the scooters in Bermuda.

No one in our party was hurt, but I have seen people with injuries from scooter accidents, so just be very careful if you decide to get them.

Archived