review of mini cruise on BRAEMAR

seabourndt

HI JUST RETURNED FROM mini cruise on the braemar LEITH-NEWCASTLE.

GETTING TO THE PORT

as i live in london i got the train from kings cross to edinburgh, embarkation was not starting until 1430 which i thought a bit late. i booked a transfer from edinburgh station to the port which was free.

EMBARKATION

after getting off the bus went through check-in which was really quick. my luggage was taken from the bus straight onto my cabin which was great. up the gangway i went to show my cruisecard and shown my cabin on atlantic deck.

MY CABIN.

it was a twin cabin as it was for a friend who then decided not to come. it had 2 portholes and a shower. an armchair, a single bedwith another which could be converted. as i was on my own i used this as a sofa. 2 wardrobes if i was with her it might have ben difficult to get all out clothes in, likewise the drawers. i did not really see my stewardess.

MEALS.

i had dinner at the dining room, the menu was a small book not like on other ships and the choice was a little small. a lot was buffet style even in the dining room not fordinner though. there was the palms cafe which was a buffet.

SHOWS.

there were 2 production shows that werew great and 1 comedian and an illusionist all were really good.

OTHER THInGS

after unpacking my suitcase i went for afternoon tea in the palms cafe. you queued up for caKES but they brought you drinks. lifeboat drill was in the coral bar which was far too small as i had to stand. they had to do a roll call which a lot of more modern ships not not have. after leaving leith we had to wait until the tiny lock opened.

after the show i was glad to find out there was 2 parts of the skylark bar on deck 7 one for no smoking and one for smoking cigarettes,cigars, and pipes. as a smoker myself thought i was going to have to go outside.

DAY 2 KIRKWALL.

after breakfast in nthe dining room i did a tourt of stones,and skara brae a neolithic site and skaille house all very interesting. we were back for lunch, then we left at 2pm. i tried the gym but out of 3 machines only 2 were working.

DAY3

BERGEN

after breakast did the tour to hArdagerfjord where we had a buffet lunch at the hotel. it was quite crowded as the coach from the german cruiseship was there as well. then onto to the many waterfalls.back to the ship for dinner.

as we were not leaving until 1am we had plenty of time. after dinner and show and cigar i had a walk outside to see the city in lights.

DAY 4

sea day today, they said it was force 4 increasing to 6 but did not notice it really. you did feel a bit of motion not a surprise as i've been on this ship before. did a walk round the deck which is 5 laps=1 mile. i was the only one doing it.

negative comments.

wine waiter was not interested in asking me if i antede wine with my meal.

repeater cocktail party was for silver and gold members only i hadblue one.

i got of the ship only to find my case not there! somehow it ended up in the terminal ands i had to wait for it to come back top get non my coach to the railways stn.

comments

all in all i enjoyed the cruise, it did it mostly for my non exsistant friend and the fact that i was on this ship on my very 1st cruise experience. it holds a lot of good memories for me. a lot were on their 12st cruise and all enjoyed it.

dave

Thanks for the review Dave. My wife and I will be on Braemar in 6 weeks' time for the next mini-cruise: Newcastle - Southampton. Interesting to hear about your on-board experiences.

Just how much ship movement was there during the sea day? I've read the other thread about the sea-sickness problems on the Fjords cruise.

well you could feel it a bit in my cabin midships on dfeck 3. also in the restaurant at the back. it was supposed to be increasing from force 4-6 but did not notice it. at the front where i noticed on the CROWN DYNASTY felt like hitting a pothole! it felt much better on this cruise.

have a great cruise where are you stopping?

dave

doing boudicca next month

• 3 weeks later...

Dave

I've just re-read your review; thanks once again for posting it.

Our cruise is a 4-night repositioning mini-cruise from Newcastle to Southampton, similar in concept to the one you went on but different ports. Itinerary is: leave Newcastle on 20 September; 21st - day at sea; 22nd - Honfleur; 23rd - St. Peter Port; 24th - Southampton. So four nights just like yours.

We've got a midships cabin on deck 3, again rather like yours, so I'm hoping we won't feel the North Sea too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived