Air Connections

cruiseonly

Can someone please comment on the air connections to Tahiti, and also the flying timeframe.

Have wanted to go Tahiti and the Cook Islands for many years now.

But being seniors we thought the air would be too long.

Read that you can get a direct flight from NY via Tahitian Air. Also you can go to LA, and fly to Tahiti.

Would it be better to purchase Princess air rather than our own.

When we went in 05 I purchase our own air. We flew out of Buffalo (live in Ontario). We were delayed in Buffalo and missed our flight in Dallas and then almost miss our flight from LA to Papeete. Needless to say it was a very long stressful day. 22 hours from home to Papeete.

We are doing the Cook Islands in Feb/08. We are flying to LA from Toronto(nonstop) and staying 2 nights, then we have Princess air from LA and staying to nights pre cruise. Price wise it works out better (so far) and will certainly break up the long trip.

As for the NY to PPT. That is one very long flight. I believe it is at least 13 hours. I don't think I could handle that one, and I have heard of them being cancelled.

I must say though......

Regardless of how you get there it is worth the trip!!!!!!!

Can someone please comment on the air connections to Tahiti, and also the flying timeframe.

Have wanted to go Tahiti and the Cook Islands for many years now.

But being seniors we thought the air would be too long.

Read that you can get a direct flight from NY via Tahitian Air. Also you can go to LA, and fly to Tahiti.

Would it be better to purchase Princess air rather than our own.

We did the direct flight from JFK-PPT, for our 7/9/07 cruise.

We purchased the air through Princess, because their prices were cheaper.

The flight was around 12 1/2 hrs. long, but I don't think we would have done it any other way.

We stayed 2 nites in PPT on arrival, & then another 3 in Moorea prior to the cruise. Post cruise we stayed another 3 nites in PPT.

It was definitely worth the long flight, just to be in Paradise.

Can't wait to go back someday.

Minette

We are also seniors and are on the April 28th cruise. We have booked Princess air from Toronto. Direct flight to LAX (aircanada) and then Tahiti nui same day but we are staying two days at the Sheraton Tahiti before boarding. One of the reasons we did this through Princess is that we were able to get their insurance covering flight and all days including the two before boarding for aroun $115 each considerably less than our insurance. I triple checked that we qualified for their insurance as canadian residents.

This is cancellation & medical insurance)

Sherrill

The Air Tahiti flight from LA to Papeete is about 8 hours. We booked last September for a July 07 cruise. Our open-jawed roundtrip airfare from Cleveland (through Princess) was about $2300 for both us us. We flew into Tahiti and back home from Honolulu. Air Tahiti Nui has great on-board service, pretty good food (two full meals), free drinks, and terribly cramped seats in Coach!!!!!

We are also seniors and are on the April 28th cruise. We have booked Princess air from Toronto. Direct flight to LAX (aircanada) and then Tahiti nui same day but we are staying two days at the Sheraton Tahiti before boarding. One of the reasons we did this through Princess is that we were able to get their insurance covering flight and all days including the two before boarding for aroun $115 each considerably less than our insurance. I triple checked that we qualified for their insurance as canadian residents.

This is cancellation & medical insurance)

Sherrill

We are also using Princess Travel care for our cruise in Feb. The medical isn't quite as good as what we can get here but I always take out yearly medical with RBC. There was a promo a while back and I got the Travel care for 1/2 price which was a great deal. One of the reasons our Princess air is from LAX is because I payed in USD for this cruise (much cheaper). I booked the pre hotel with Princess so we wouldn't have to pay the deviation fees. Also to avoid extra fees for my group, we decided to get our own flights to LA since we are staying 1-2 nights in LA. West Jet just recently released some direct flights and I was able to get them with Airmiles so only costing $368 for 2. By doing it all this way I was able to save over a couple thousand.

Air Tahiti Nui has cancelled the Non-Stop JFK-PPT - just not sure when.

I am leaving 12/28 and was forced to take the one stop through LAX.

This stinks as it adds a few hours to the trip.

Larry

That's very unfortunate. This seems to happen a fair bit. Hopefully you won't have too long on a stopover in LA.

Air Tahiti Nui has cancelled the Non-Stop JFK-PPT - just not sure when.

I am leaving 12/28 and was forced to take the one stop through LAX.

This stinks as it adds a few hours to the trip.

Larry

I wonder if ATN will stop these flights permanently? I hope not.

They just can't fill up all the seats on their planes.

Minette

Lauren,

Unfortunately we had already booked in cdn dollars and couldn't change to US but at least we are saving as we have airmiles for our two nights at the Sheraton which saves us there.

The prices from Toronto now are around the same as princess and we would have to pay upfront and only get an airline credit if we cancelled

Sherrill

I wonder if ATN will stop these flights permanently? I hope not.

They just can't fill up all the seats on their planes.

Minette

I have been told they will soon no longer exist - the flights I took last year were half full - has to be the reason

Larry

I have been told they will soon no longer exist - the flights I took last year were half full - has to be the reason

Larry

I went to the ATN site, & they aren't showing any flights for next July, so I guess you are right.

Also with Princess not being there next summer, how many people from the the East Coast will really want to go there now?

Minette

Archived