Glacier Tours: Is Mendenhall the "Must See" or are others as fabulous?

bettyvon

I am looking into booking a glacier helicopter tour, however, Temsco Tours is the only company permitted to land on Mendenhall. Coastal Helicopters goes to Herbert, Taku, Lemon and Norris glaciers. Are these spectacular as well, or should we hold out for Mendenhall? The reason I ask is that Temsco is sold out for the day we want, but told us we could book thru the ship which is a bit more expensive.

Thanks!

Radiance of the Seas 7/04

Adventure of the Seas 4/02

Elation 4/01

Sun Princess 10/00

I have not been on a helicopter tour of the glaciers, but I did a hike beside Mendenhall Glacier on our last trip. We also cruised/hiked by other glaciers. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, they're all stunning scenery, but I don't think it matters which one you tour.

June '04 - Statendam Alaska

May '98 - Statendam Alaska

Here are some pretty glacier pictures:

http://www.mccullyweb.com/icefield/aerial.html

Personally, I think they're all fabulous. Mendenhall is visible from the visitor's center and the trails around it, so if you have time, you could do both. A landing on one of the others and a ground view of Mendenhall.

I flew over Columbia and landed on Shoop out of Valdez a couple of years ago, both were awesome too.

I am guessing it won't make a difference. When you land on a glacier, the neat parts are looking down the crevases and walking on the ice. That would be pretty much the same wherever you go. I went with Coastal out of Juneau. We landed somewhere on the Juneau icefield, but not sure which glacier. You get to fly around and see many from the sky on the way to the landing, and I am guessing that would be fairly similar regardless of which glacier you land on.

Thank you for the replies! Don, I loved your website. Photos were beautiful! When I have more time to browse, I plan to return and read some stories.

Blythe icon_cool.gif

Elation 4/01

Sun Princess 10/00

I HAVE glacier helicoptered landed on the above glaciers- 6 trips. So - Glaciers are in a constant state of change and any glacier landing is spectacular, Mendenhall wasn't any "better" just more known. Any trip you go on will offer a unique look. Go with who fits your schedule best.

Thanks Budget Queen! I suspected that any glacier landing would be fantastic, but not knowing anything about Alaska or the glaciers, I wanted to make sure we would get the "ultimate" experience! I have been assured.

Blythe

Elation 4/01

Sun Princess 10/00

Archived