Transportation from NYC pier

cruisegirl1969

I live on Long Island and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with transportation from the NYC pier out to Long Island. Is car service readily available or is it better to make a reservation with a company for a pickup. I need all the help I can get with this one as I will not be driving to the pier nor will I have anyone picking us up. So I appreciate anyone's experience with this. Sailing on the Spirit in October to Canada:p Thanks in advance.

Picked up my sister and her family in May from the Dawn because she had a hard time getting car service back to the Island. she tried for 40 minutes :mad: before giving me a call. Luckily I live only 20 minute away and was more than happy to pick them up!

If you don't have anyone available to pick you up, I suggest taking a cab to Penn station and then hopping on the LIRR.:)

If you have a lot of luggage, I suggest making prior arrangments.

Hope that this helps. Have a great time on your cruise.

Knsky

I would have transportation already arranged with an approximate time for pickup. For our Carnival cruise to nowhere we did take the LIRR back to LI but it took about an hour to get a cab. The line was tremendous! So many hours wasted. I'd rather arrange for car service in the future. In October the inlaws will be driving into the city but we will pay for parking at the pier.

We've cruised one other time. I agree with you on the long long lines for taxis. We crossed the street and was able to get a cab in about 10 minutes- maybe too 5 minutes. If you pack a little lighter you can avoid the taxi line :D

Thanks for all of the info. Sounds like the smart thing to do is arrange for car service in advance. Anyone living on long island have any suggestions for a good, reliable car service company? Any help is appreciated. Thanks again for all the valuable info.

Do you remember how much they charged for a cab to Penn? We are going on a cruise to nowhere in Sept and I've been torn with taking the subway to as close as I can and walking the rest or taking a cab.

The closest subway will be somewhere along 8th Ave., which is a long hike from the port if you're carrying lots of luggage. Personally, I would get a taxi. If you cross over the West Side Hgwy, you'll probably get one quicker!

Archived