Passport question

Waimea'sMom

I'm currently sailing on the 11/3 Hawaii cruise which has a stopover in Ensenada, Mexico. I was planning on taking my passport for my ID (even though it isn't required for sea sailings until January but just for convenience sake). I am, however, also going to go on a Caribbean sailing in early or mid March. Do you think if I apply for my passport renewal when I return from Hawaii (the mid/end November time) I will get my new passport in time for the Caribbean sailing? I've heard horror stories of people having to wait up to 4 or 5 months to get a passport right now.

Or does anyone know if a passport expiring in July 08 would still be valid for a March sailing date? I know some places require you to have at least 6 months still available on a passport for entry -- is the Caribbean one of these?

So what would you do? 1) Would you turn in your passport application prior to the Nov. sailing since it is not REQUIRED for this trip and just bring a birth certifcate with you, 2) would you risk turning it in after I come home in the hopes that I get it in time for the March sailing, or 3) would you just keep the one you have even though it expires in July? Sorry but expedited service is not an option. I really don't want to pay $127 instead of $67 just because the govt. is running really slowly on passport renewals.

P.S. If you just did your own passport renewal, how long did it take?

Thanks for any info. BTW this is posted in both the Caribbean and Princess boards.:)

I applied for my passport renewal mid July together with my wife' and son's. We did not pay the extra fee to have them expedited faster; Amazingly I got my passport in the mail 2 weeks after; I got lucky. We are still waiting for my wife and son passport. The web page that has all the info. you need is http://travel.state.gov/

you will need to print the forms and mail them the with a check and 2 passport pictures. We got ours at Costco.

I hope you do this ASAP. We are sailing in Dec.

Islander1763

P.D. If you need further help, let me know :D

Archived