Why a bad reputation?

ldohe

I took my first cruise on Carnival in May of 2003, to celebrate my 50th birthday. I went "solo", and definitely was a bit apprehensive. I got on these boards and met some wonderful folks, with outstanding advice. I even had the privilege of meeting up with some CC people, and had the absolute time of my life. Everything about Carnival exceeded my expectations.. and the casual atmosphere, along with the formal nights were exactly to my preferences.. I could not have asked for a better time. I got so hooked on cruising, I couldn't wait to take another.

I found a wonderfully inexpensive cruise on Celebrity, and cruised the following October on the Galaxy. While the excursions were so much fun, and the dining experience a bit more upscale, I was not as happy on the Galaxy. Celebrity had a few more "perks" that were nice. Cold towels being handed out as we embarked after an excursion was a very nice touch. Sherbert and lemonade or iced tea being handed out in mid-afternoon while on deck was also nice. But those few extras, did not make the cruise. I am 51, and certainly not a party animal.. but I was definitely bored with the climate of the Galaxy. I work in healthcare, primarily with geriatrics. There were so many wheelchairs, walkers and oxygen tanks on board that it was a bit disappointing. They were very nice people, but not what I was looking for in a vacation.

Carnival has been maligned too much. Yes, it is known as the "Fun Ships". Yes, there are children. But the age range was wonderful, and could meet people of all ages from all walks of life. I did not feel the "stuffy" atmosphere that I did on Celebrity.

Please do no mistake what I am saying. Celebrity was very nice and I had a good time. I just had a much better time on Carnival. Therefore, I am cruising this November on the Carnival Victory!!! Balcony this time.. can't wait!!

Karen

To those of you who are very loyal Carnival cruisers, this is my honest answer to the question about why some of us don't prefer Carnival. I must also add that I agree that I don't think Carnival deserves to have a "bad reputation". My first cruise was on Carnival's Pride and my second was on the Coral Princess. Both were 1 week cruises. We had a very nice time on the Pride... enjoyed it so much that we knew while onboard that we'd be booking another cruise before too long. But we also knew we would take our second cruise on a different line. I think the biggest reason was because that except while we were in our cabin, which was a very gererous size, we always felt the ship was overcrowded. We took both cruises during peak periods and never felt that way on the Coral Princess. The traffic flow on the Pride just didn't seem very good. There always seemed to be bottlenecks in the atrium, at the theater, near the dining rooms, and worst of all in the photo gallery.

It also seemed that we had to stand in line for everything on the Pride. The line for boarding took us 45 mins. on Carnival (2 hours for other family members who arrived later) as opposed to 6 mins. on the Coral (thanks to pre-registering on their website). Waiting on line for many shore excursions took a great deal of time (again, pre-registered with Princess... no waiting). There were long lines in the Mermaid Grille, lines to get a burger, etc. even tho we avoided going at the busiest times. I realize that there were more people on board the Pride than on the Coral, but Princess is well known for how well they manage the crowds on their largest ships, too. I think it comes down to the ships' layouts.

There was also the fairly trivial matter of announcements over the PA... seemed like we were bombarded with them on the Pride. I do like hearing what's going on, but I don't need to be reminded every 10 mins.

I will probably be sailing on Carnival again in January, but mostly because we only have time for a short cruise, and Carnival has the best selection of them and their price is the best.

When asked for a recommendation I've told others that we prefer Princess, but that they should give Carnival a try at least once. We plan to try Royal Caribbean and Celebrity at least once, too.

Shae

We took our first Carnival Cruise on the 'Glory' last April, against everyones advise.. Advise?? We had a great cruise.. In fact we decided it was a tie for the 'best cruise ever' between the 'Glory' and the 'Golden Princess'. We've been on 13 cruises.. We were so impressed with Carnival, we are on the 'Valor' in April of '05'. We have definitely become Carnival Fans..... Bombero.. :) :) :)

We cruise often.......and like to try the different cruise lines and ships. We have cruised with Carnival, Celebrity, Cunard, Disney, Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean. Carnival ranks at the bottom of our list. I call it a line with a lot of fancy window dressing.....but no substance. Just my opinion.....but for numerous reasons......we are NOT Carnival fans.

Archived