What to do on Christmas Day in St. Thomas or St. John?

auntpam

Hello!

We will be cruising over the Christmas Holidays. We will be in St. Thomas and or St. John on Christmas Day. We are trying to decide what to do on that special day. Are the shops open, how about the craft vendors? What all do they have going on on this day? We will be there on the 25th and wonder if the things that we have usually done on our two previous trips there will be open. Also has anyone been there at Christmas time? Do they have lots of Christmas decorations, anything special to see for the holidays anywhere on the island? I assume the National Park on St. John is open? Thanks so much!

Pam

Fantasy June 2004

Fantasy December 2004

Valor May 2005

Glory July 2005

Fantasy January 1, 2006

Liberty March 2006

Fantasy May 2006

Glory July 2006

Sensation December 2006

Volendam March 2007

Mariner of the Seas June 2007

Valor July 8, 2007

COMING SOON!

GLORY DECEMBER 22, 2007

Making plans for 2008 now!

Hi Pam,

I would guess that most of the shops would be closed for such a major holiday, but they're always open on ship days, so I may be wrong. Sorry I can't help you there. But, I would think spending Christmas at Saphire Beach or Magens Bay on STT OR Hawksnest Beach or Maho, etc on STJ enjoying a beach picnic would be awesome:)

If you usually go to church service for Christmas then check into service on STT and then off to the beach for the rest of the day. Spending Christmas day shopping would be a bummer for me. I can't believe I just typed that...me, who loves to shop:rolleyes:

Anyway, whatever you decide I'm sure will be enjoyable!

Happy Cruising...

Kathy

Sorry, but few of the shops are ever open on a Sunday... I would imagine that on Christmas day it would be almost dead, except for maybe a few of the shops in the terminal.

I would take an excursion. Even the ferries might be curtailed.

auntpam, I live here, so I'll tell you what happens on Christmas Day in STT.

The tradition is for the carollers who have been out all night to meet for a carolling concert in town at Emancipation Garden. They usually start at around 6:30 a.m. and go until maybe 11 a.m. or so, and the event is telecast locally.

The shops in town and Havensight will be open, though most close at maybe 1 p.m. or so. The Vendors' Plaza will be open.

Most of the decorations are lights, so it won't look that festive during the day. But, what I find very quaint, are the decorated trees in Emancipation Garden. Every year the school kids make decorations for the trees in the garden, and I think that's such a neat tradition.

Up until last year, they had a creche in the Garden, which is so unusual to see on govt property these days, but it wasn't there last year. Maybe it'll be back this year, but who knows?

At this time of the year, the snow on the mountain and Christmas candle flowers are in bloom. Most of these are in private yards, so you may not see them during your visit. You'll probably see poinsettias in many locations in Havensight or town.

Merry Christmas!

Archived