Flying to Newark, cruising from N.York:

Frankie Sue

We are flying in to Newark for our late Fall cruise on Holland America that leaves from the Manhattan pier. We will be arriving in Newark quite late the evening before our cruise and we will need a hotel to spend the night.

I would really like to get your opinions on whether we should stay near the Newark airport or stay in Manhattan (prices are really high in New York) and if we do stay in Newark, how easy and expensive will it be to get a taxi or car service to take us to the pier the following morning. Should be book a car service ahead or will taxis be easy to call from the hotel?

Also, do you think that we should change our flight and fly into New York instead of Newark? Would it be easier to get to the pier from LaGuardia or JFK?

I look forward to your comments.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frankie Sue

We are flying in to Newark for our late Fall cruise on Holland America that leaves from the Manhattan pier. We will be arriving in Newark quite late the evening before our cruise and we will need a hotel to spend the night.

I would really like to get your opinions on whether we should stay near the Newark airport or stay in Manhattan (prices are really high in New York) and if we do stay in Newark, how easy and expensive will it be to get a taxi or car service to take us to the pier the following morning. Should be book a car service ahead or will taxis be easy to call from the hotel?

Also, do you think that we should change our flight and fly into New York instead of Newark? Would it be easier to get to the pier from LaGuardia or JFK?

I look forward to your comments.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frankie Sue

LGA is the closest but frankly EWR(newark) isn't that far. A cab from LGA to midtown and the piers is about $35.00. A cab from EWR to Midtown or the pirers is about $50.00 A cab from JFK to Midtown and the piers is $45.00 all plus tolls and tip....The airport hotels around LGA I personally believe are the best but none of them are great.

A cab back to LGA from the piers is about $35.00 to JFK $45.00(both plus tolls and tip) and to EWR its a little more complicated but should run about $70.00 including tolls and tip.

Most of the time a car service should cost about the same from the airport or the hotel and ant car service will be happy to take you. Most hotels can call you a cab as well, although at some of the airports a free shuttle from the hotel can take you back to the airport to catch a waiting cab.

If you are arriving quite late in the evening and won't be able to take advantage of Manhattan, then why spend a fortune to stay there? LGA is the closer airport but I always fly EWR - it seems easier to me even though it's a bit more expensive to get to and from.

Blue Herons, we are cruising in late October. We will probably follow Name Game’s advice and just find a reasonable hotel near EWR and use either a cab or car service to get to the cruise terminal the next morning.

So thanks again for all your advice and comments. It is always good to be well informed.

Good cruising to you all……..

Frankie Sue

We have the opposite situation - arriving atthe pier in NY and leaving from Newark Airport. I haven't done this before, and I've read some no-so-great things about Super Shuttle Service related to Newark Airpost, but we're giving Super Shuttle a try for something like $17 per person from the pier to Newark airport. Being originally from the NJ area, I'd have to agree with the post that mentioned staying in Manhattan if you arrive early enough in the day to enjoy the city that evening and the next morning. You can get some great rates on hotwire or like sites and will have a plethora of place to walk to and eat at compared to Newark Airport where they have a captive audience. And if you stay on the west side near the piers the hotel might even have a shuttle to the pier. But if you do stay at the airport, I stayed once at the Marriott and it was fine. They have a shuttle from the baggage claim and it is literally in the airport. Many of those on the edge add shuttle time and are not real good.

Blue Herons, we are cruising in late October. We will probably follow Name Game’s advice and just find a reasonable hotel near EWR and use either a cab or car service to get to the cruise terminal the next morning.

So thanks again for all your advice and comments. It is always good to be well informed.

Good cruising to you all……..

Frankie Sue

Ouch! October rates can be very expensive. If you are arriving on a Thursday night, I'd still give Manhattan a shot through hotwire. Newark is truly a dismal location.

Good luck!

The Newark airport area (Elizabeth, NJ) is not the nicest. That being said, if all you need is a place to sleep and clean and safe hotel then by all means stay there. October hotel prices in Manhattan will be a fortune. If you were arriving early and had a day to spend in Manhattan then the "fortune" would be worth spending.

I've done Airlink, which is pretty much the same as SuperShuttle from Newark into Manhattan, but never from Manhattan to Newark. You can't beat the price. The only issue with them is the pickup time. They like to pick you up extra early. If you are finishing your vacation and don't mind getting to airport early then I say go for it, it's really a great price for the service.

Archived