Jeep/car rental at port? OK to tour on our own?

allisons

Are there jeep/car rental companies at the port? Is it OK to tour the island on our own? If not, then we will go with a private tour operator. We have rented jeeps and toured on our own in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Croix, Aruba, Curacao, Barbados, St. Lucia, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman, but we have used private tour operators in Antigua, Jamaica, Belize, and Costa Maya.

Dear Allisons:

There are no direct car/jeep rentals at the port. However, Port information can give you directions to rental companies right on the Colonial zone or close by (you would have to take a cab). It's Ok to tour on your own if you want, and you can make different arrangements (hire a driver, rent a car or jeep). Most major rental companies operate in the DR and you can do a rental through the web or direct at the airport (the rental companis have booths on arrival) and/or at the city.

What are your plans? so that I can give you more specific advise: are you staying pre/post cruise? arriving on a day call? number of days. Do bear in mind that the island is somewhat big and does take a lot to get around it (if your plan is to go around the island).

Hope this helps. Regards, DR GUY

Dr. Guy,

Thank you so much! Our plans our kind of strange. We fly down on Saturday, January 5th, stay one night at the Renaissance Jaragua, leave Sunday, January 6th on a 7-night cruise, have the day of Sunday, January 13th to get off the ship if we wish, leave again on Sunday, January 13th for another 7-night cruise, and then fly home late in the day on Sunday, January 20th. So we have the evening of Saturday, January 5th, the morning of Sunday, January 6th, almost the entire day Sunday, January 13th, and most of the day Sunday, January 20th. Therefore, we might just stick to walking around Santo Domingo and the Zona Colonial. Unless there's something wonderful a short drive away that's really worth it to go see.

Thanks,

Allison

Dear Allisons:

Interesting plans!!! ;) Jan 5th would be great for dining out. I can suggest going to the Zona Colonial to Plaza de España. There are several restaurants right on the plaza: The ones I like the most are Pat'e Palo (although the priciest) and Museo del Jamon. There is also Angelo's (italian. With a third level terrace with a really nice view) and Costelao (a Brazilian rodizio-style). La Zona also has some other interesting restaurants (La Briciola and Cafe bellini) on Plaza Billini, which are set in beatufil spanish style homes. Also, on Jan 5th, you still get to see Christmas decor, because the DR still celebrates Epiphany (which is on the 6th) and on the 5th there is still a three kings parade (going through El Conde street). You can also do a quick Colonial city tour after dinner (on a coach ride or any taxi will give you a ride through the zona for a few extra dollars).

On the 20th, you could do either a more formal city tour (and throw in a museum) or go to the Botanical Gardens (which is around 25 mins from the port). It is a marvelous, well-kept park with a lot of green to look at and several different sceneries (the japanese garden is a must see). I think you can take these tours from the port or do-it-yourself approach, for which I would suggest hiring a taxi right there at the port and negotiate an all- in fee for the whole drive/day and the trip to the airport.

Regards, DR GUY

Dr. Guy,

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all of your wonderful recommendations. Which of those restaurants is best for local Dominican cuisine? What about the restaurant La Residence? Or is that French?

I'm so excited about the Christmas decorations!

We're definitely going to tour the Zona Colonial on foot on one of our days. The Botanical Gardens also sound great. My husband loves botanical gardens! Which museum would you recommend? An art museum? A cultural museum? We love all kinds of museums. After all, we're from D.C.!

My husband really wanted to stay at the Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando in the Zona Colonial. But I wanted to stay on the Malecon, so I booked us at the Renaissance Jaragua. Did I make a huge mistake? Should I move us?

Thanks again for all of your wonderful advice! It is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Allison

HI! Allisons:)

La Residence is the restaurant at the Sofitel. It is definitely a frwnch style restaurant ( I do like their sunday brunches a lot, but I haven't been there in a while).

For typical Dominican food you can't try the Meson de Bari in the Colonial Zone (great for lunch). You can also dine at the Vesubio (Italian name, but great fresh local seafood. Do ask for a side of fried green plantains).

concerning the hotels, it depends on what you are looking for: The Jaragua is a larger, more american style hotel. The Sofitel is more cozy , and "romantic colonial". both are well located, withthe Sofitel being in the heart of the Colonial zone (But the Jaragua is no more than 10 mins. away). The Malecon is right across the street from the Jaragua and a great day walk.

For Museums do go the Alcazar de Colon (Columbus Lighthouse), the Museo de Las Casas Reales (Museum of Royal Houses), The Cathedral (On Sundays you can visit only as a church as they have services the whole day). There are also some nice tours of the colonial zones including the major church sites (there are more than 10 churches). Also worth visiting is Duarte square and the Dominican order convent (They were used in scenes for the Movie The Good Shepperd).

I'll get you some more info on art museums opened on Sun (unfortunately my favorite art museum, the Bellapart, is closed on Sunday. It houses a beautiful Dominican and Caribbean private art collection).

Saludos and bienvenidos (Hello and welcome). DR_GUY

Dr. Guy,

Thank you so much! That is incredibly helpful! I really appreciate you taking so much time to give me so much excellent information! I know that our visit will be greatly enriched because of your help!

My husband's birthday is January 20th, and we'll be eating dinner on a plane, so I'll definitely take him out to a nice lunch in the Zona Colonial at one of the restaurants you've recommended. We'll also eat lunch on Janaury 13th in the Zona Colonial, so we'll get to try another restaurant. On January 5th, we plan to have dinner on the Malecon, walking distance from Jaragua. What about the restaurant El Conuco? Other suggestions?

We're definitely going to keep our reservation at the Jaragua. I looked again at the prices for the Sofitel, and they have doubled since I looked a week ago. Next time we visit Santo Domingo, we'll stay at the Sofitel.

We are definitely going to visit the Alcazar de Colon, El Faro a Colon, Museo de las Casas Reales, and Catedral de Santa Maria la Menor. I'm thrilled that the sightseeing list we'd made matches your suggestions. We'll also plan on visiting Duarte square and the Dominican order convent. Please do let us know about museums, as we are very interested in both art and history.

Thank you so much for your warm hospitality and travel advice! We deeply appreciate it! It feels like we have a helpful travel guide and local friend all wrapped up into one! You have made us even more exicted about our visit!

Thanks,

Allison

Archived